1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about oxine, please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wonderment, Mar 31, 2017.

1. wonderment

wonderment New Egg

Mar 31, 2017
    I bought Oxine in Canada, and mixed the soluttion with water, inactivated oxine. I just wondered how long is it good for?
    If you mix it and put it in a sprayer bottle as a disinfectant to be used later, does it expire after like 10 days? or it is good as long I use it.

I mixed it a week ago and I am due cleaning my house today (where i had pigeons and droppings) I wonder if the mixed solution is still good. or I need to make a fresh batch.

Please let me know..

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. wonderment

wonderment New Egg

Mar 31, 2017
    Thank you. I couldnt find the specific answer I was looking for. I am gonna bump this again!

4. 2FishCreative

2FishCreative New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    Hi, I couldn't find a set time-frame for the shelf life of Oxine (inactivated), but your just mixed batch should be fine. It's designed for a long-term use as a bacteriostat and totally soluble in water so should last for quite some time. You could also contact the manufacturer, http://www.bio-cide.com/oxine/.

5. wonderment

wonderment New Egg

Mar 31, 2017
    Thank you for the response. I also posted in Chemistry forums, and found out. Apparently Oxine (aka hydroxyquinoline) lasts longer even after you sprayed, maybe even a year. The chemist suggested if you don't know how to activate it (preferred for cleaning, killing anything it comes in contact with) I can get another sprayer bottle and mix it with the sodium citrate solution same appropriate (diluted) concentration with water, and simply spray again on anything I disinfected using inactivated oxine mix I had already sprayed on. That way it will get activated without emiting anything major and kill the fungi and bacteria.

I don't know if I wanna do that because I don't have a balcony and all my windows are closed shut due to the cold weather. I hope this information helps someone that is gonna look for Oxine uses in the future.

Thanks again for your response.

6. 2FishCreative

2FishCreative New Egg

Feb 17, 2015
    You're most welcome! I chose not to use the activated version because I was using it for both a cleaning agent and a mist inside the coop and research indicated the activated version wasn't safe for chickens' respiratory systems in that form. I also use it once in a while in the waterer, it definitely helps keep the "slime" from occurring (which happens even when I change the water every few days) .

7. wonderment

wonderment New Egg

Mar 31, 2017
    Makes sense. Is it possible to mist using the sprayer bottle? If I can spray a few mist clouds using the spraying bottles, is that enough for the pigeons when they get a sniffle? Or you have some kind of mist generator that automatically keeps misting the area for the birds like the vegetable sections in grocery stores?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by