1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about oyster shell

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckboatprincess, Sep 10, 2009.

1. duckboatprincess

duckboatprincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    My pekin hen just started laying yesterday. I was going to get some oyster shell for her and offer it free choice. Will that hurt the other ducks and the ducklings? Just wondered. Also, is there a specific kind that I need to get that they sell at Tractor Supply?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If you offer it free choice, only the laying ducks will really be interested. When you mix it with the feed it can cause problems for drakes and non-layers.

3. duckboatprincess

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Oh okay. So would it be okay to put in a chick feeder? (The long metal ones with holes in the top)

4. 1-duckling

1-duckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Washington
    I use the small black rubbery bowls since they stay put and give the hens enough room to scoop. I did have a whipped cream dish nailed to a flat board for stability. Worked great just fine. They sure can go through the oyster shell in a hurry. I've seen the ducklings and drakes nibble at the oyster shell but they never chomp it down like the hens do.

5. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    My Lay pellet comes with oyster shells mixed in. Its nice of them to do this. However, whenever we fry eggs, the shell gets broiled for a few minutes and crushed for the hens to eat. Extra bits of calcium never hurt.
    [​IMG]

6. duckboatprincess

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Oh okay. Thanks guys!

7. Brassmaster

Brassmaster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    Wayne County, Ohio
    Quote:What kinds of problems will it cause for the drakes? My layer feed comes with calcium mixed in and that is what all the ducks eat.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It depends on the dosage, but over time it can cause them kidney problems if I remember correctly. Not an issue if you butcher once they are full grown, but if you are keeping them around for a while, it can be an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by