Question about pairing off ducks....

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
So when people usually but calls, they buy them in pairs, well, would it hurt say if you got 10 call ducks and 5 were boys, and 5 were girls. Would the ladies get hurt/over bred? Thanks!

Quote:
LoL see? Misinformed, I was
gig.gif
I can't say I was told that by a very smart person but one never knows...

Although my drakes have favorites and they do form bonds, drakes are usually quite randy and willing to mate most anything and the girls are pretty accepting.

However, with the call ducks that people are buying in pairs, I suspect they are putting them in individual pens, so that each pair is separated. When there is one drake with one duck, he doesn't have the competition pressure and its not so hard on the duck. A group of boys seems to egg each other on. I don't have any trouble separating out a pair or a trio, the drake doesn't get so excited and they do fine. (I don't have calls though, if that makes any difference.)

Quote:
gig.gif

Well I believe there are some breeds that keep the same partner for life, maybe mandrin ducks... But most breeds are not that way, I would put 1 drake with up to 6 females but smaller groups of 1 male and 1-2 females are good also. Not as much stress on the drake to take care of his ladies if there are less females and no other males.

Last edited:
Quote:
gig.gif

yuckyuck.gif

only wood ducks and mandarins will mate for life, not domestic ducks, they grab any they can at anytime they feel the moments right
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom