Question about partridge cochins...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    When the chicks begins to feather in at 1-2 weeks, can you know that it is either a pullet or cockerel?

My partridge chick is 2 weeks old and has distinct partridge feathers like the female. Can I assume this chick is a pullet? What is the color of the cockerels when their feathers begin to come in?

2. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    all my partridge cochins are 4 1/2 or so weeks old and look the same, though I do have a peewee, about 1/3 of the size of the others though I do wonder if she isnt a banty put in my order by mistake

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Ours are all bantams...they are sooo tiny when hatched. After hatching a bunch of std. babies, it was a shock to see the miniature version.

4. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    No, I don't think you can tell until they get somewhat older. Like, 8 weeks or so. Mine were all identical until about then, and the roos didn't start crowing until they had all their male feathers in and an earlier-maturing breed roo had already been crowing for a month. For a while I thought I had lucked out and found the world's quietest roosters.

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    On my cochins, the males had bare patches on their shoulders at about the age you are talking about. One hen didn't and one hen did too. I went 10 for 11 on langshans and cochins this year looking for bare patches between down and juvenile feathers.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    OK...I'll look for those patches tomorrow morning. Someone wants to buy this partridge chick from me and they can't have roos. I guess she can take it and if it starts feather in as a roo, she can bring it back to me.

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:whats the difference between cochrin bantams and regular cochrins?

I have 8 COCHRIN BANTAMS ( I THINK ) LOL

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I think 7-8 weeks the males will look different which is a lot nicer than other breeds that take FOREVER [​IMG]

9. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Yes, 7-8 weeks you can definitely tell by the feathering.

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    OK...thanks so much for the info. This one is only 2 weeks so it will need a bit more time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by