Question about "parts"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JayneMae, Aug 10, 2011.

1. JayneMae

JayneMae Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Orting
    We got some 2 week old straight run chicks last night. This morning when I went out to see how they were mixing with the bigger girls (2-3 months old) I saw one poop and something pink stick itself out. The pink thing stayed out for a while and then slowly slipped back in. Does this mean anything when determining gender? I've never seen anything come out of my other chickens when they poop, so...?

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    It has nothing to do with gender. When they poop, they push it out with those muscles, so that chick must've pushed a little too hard. A vent sexer knows what to look for, but it's not easy for the average chicken keeper to learn.

Are your new chicks seperated from the older chicks? I'd worry about them being able to defend themselves from the older birds since they're so young.

3. JayneMae

Aug 6, 2011
    Orting
    They aren't separated from the 2-3 month olds, but are from the 6 month olds. When we introduced them to the "teenagers" the teens actually welcomed them surprisingly well. they give each other room, but there are 3 of the 7 babies that run with the big group now, while the others (including a bantam) just kinda do their own thing right now. We kept them together last night in the coop with a heat lamp (we don't close the door to their inclosed run at night) and they all seem to be doing fairly well. Some of the babies were even curled up with the teens.

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:wow i never would have expected that to happen

5. JayneMae

Aug 6, 2011
    Orting
    I was surprised they seemed okay with all the littles being in there with them. When we got the teens and tried introducing them to the oldest gals, the oldest gals did not like them being anywhere near their territory and actually drew blood on one, so we separated them, but still have them near each other so they can still see everyone. When we put the babies out there last night, my husband and I spent a lot of time out there before the sun went down to make sure they were acting okay towards each other (the teens seemed a little skittish at first). After the sun went down, we went out to check on them a couple times before bed, but everyone was doing well. When I got up this morning I was pretty much holding my breath hoping that no one had gotten hurt overnight. Luckily, they all seem okay! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by