Question about pasty butt!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fowlplay, Apr 22, 2008.

1. fowlplay

fowlplay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Townsend
    I'm so sorry for all these questions guys! A couple of our babies have the much talked about pasty butt. I wipe them with a dampened papertowel and make sure the vent is clean. My question is what about the poo that is stuck to their fur below the vent? How hard should I work to remove that? lol. It's stuck on there good and I certainly don't want to be too rough and hurt them in anyway. My thought was worry more about the vent for now, the rest will work it's way off? Is that correct?
    Thanks again. All your advice and help is so greatly appreciated!

2. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    I had this problem with my silkie babies since yesterday. I cleaned them the best I could with a baby washrag. But...it all didn't come off, even though I think I may have been a little rougher than I meant to be, cause some were peeping as I was doing it. So I'm waiting on someone to give me the "Best" answer too.

3. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    When mine get pasty butt, I run warm water on their butts from the kitchen faucet. I hold them so the water hits only their butts. The pasty softens right up and then you can easily rub it off and wash its butt without hurting the chick. Then dry the chick with a paper towel.

4. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

I do something similar, I just get a rag good & wet & hold it there for a bit, then take off what easily comes off and repeat.

I live in the second driest state in the nation & I take water conservation seriously. (Probably a tad to seriously, I shower alot more now rather then bathe cause if I have a bath I "have" to bail it out and water the outdoor plants with it - too much work)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by