Question about personality differences between turkey breeds.

addctd2plnts

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
St. Charles County, MO
I don't have turkeys yet but have been considering getting some Royal Palms for purely ornamental purposes. I have ducks and have ordered some Pilgrim Geese from a show breeder. None would be housed together. I'm curious to hear from some people that have several breeds of turkeys regarding any personality differences between breeds. I understand there may be differences within a breed based on lines. I'm just looking for general trends.

I don't have turkeys yet but have been considering getting some Royal Palms for purely ornamental purposes. I have ducks and have ordered some Pilgrim Geese from a show breeder. None would be housed together. I'm curious to hear from some people that have several breeds of turkeys regarding any personality differences between breeds. I understand there may be differences within a breed based on lines. I'm just looking for general trends.
All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey.

Broad breasted varieties are bred for calm temperaments and fast growth.

Of the heritage varieties, Royal palms are flightier. Flightier means that because of their smaller size, they tend to take to flying more so than the heavier varieties.

Depending on your source there may or may not be personality differences. Conscientious breeders select for conformation, color and temperament. Other breeders may select only for looks or simply because the turkey in question is their "pet" regardless of the quality or lack thereof..

Back
Top Bottom