Question about petting pet chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by esjro, Sep 1, 2008.

1. esjro

esjro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    I have had 6 hens for 8 days now. I have been hand feeding them treats and hanging out with them for about two hours a day, so they are getting quite tame: they will sit on my lap while eating, come when I call, and poop on me. [​IMG] I took the week off from work so I could spend time with them during their first week home.

What is the best way to pet a chicken? I find that they don't like their backs petted (they lower themselves down towards the ground like they don't like it) and although they let me stroke their chests they don't seem thrilled about it. Is it better to stroke their feathers softly or should you pet with enough firmness to feel their skin? (They are so fluffy!) Do they like to be scratched?

Sorry if these questions are dumb or strange, [​IMG] but I am a first time chicken owner and just want my ladies to be happy. Not sure if it is important, but I have 2 barred rocks (friendliest), 2 red stars (skittish but mostly friendly) and 2 easter eggers (slowly coming around). Thanks!

2. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I find they like it if you just gently stroke their wattles.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I usually stroke the side of there face. even the back of the head works. Sometimes they will fall asleep.

4. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    its not that they dont like there backs petted its that theyre doing the egg squat! they see you as a roo and expect you to do roo things to them [​IMG]

5. esjro

esjro Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Stockton, NJ
    Kesta, :eek: !!! They are only 5-6 weeks, so I thought they were too young to be thinking those types of thoughts!

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Kids these days. They grow up so fast.

7. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Mine love to be petted on the front of their neck. And they LOVE baby talk! Or maybe its just my widdle chickie wickie poo woos that wike baby waby talkie walkie! [​IMG]

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    They also love the skin under their wings pet gently. My cochin sits there and falls asleep when I do this. Mine seem to be ok with the back pet...they do circles and come back for more [​IMG]

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Before I read this I was going to say the same thing about the mating sqwat. [​IMG]

10. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My tame little roo hops into my hand as soon as he sees me. He doesn't like his back feathers petted but I do it anyway (once or twice), cuz he's soooo cute and fluffy. He relaxes as soon as I pick him up and wants to take a nap cuddled in my hand. From there it's a bit of preening and then up to my shoulder. I've been wondering too, what they prefer so thanks for the suggestions everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by