Question about picking the best rooster for breeding.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Natalijaasbj, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Natalijaasbj

Natalijaasbj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Hi!
    I am a new chickens owner who intends to breed and let my chicken reproduce themselves in order to have a sustainable flock.
    I have a "lead" Maran rooster now (all my chickens are about 4 months old) - very beautiful colors, perfect for the breeding, but quite "bossy" . I also have other roosters who are calmer but not so "perfect" in their colors and body shape. I mean they are fine, but he is the MOST beautiful ffor sure.
    I have heard that this "bossiness" is pretty usual for adolescent rooster trying to "affirm" his leading position.
    How long should I wait for him to settle down when I CAN say that it is his "constant" trait or not. Because I wish him to be a main "breeding" bird(I can not have multiple roosters - seems I have 6 from 11 chickens now). I think though that it is important for breeding to have a "calmer" character, not only perfect coloring and body shape.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My roosters start calming down at seven months old or so, so I'd wait until then to make your decision. However, it is important to breed for both temperament and color and type. It might be a better idea to pick the best colored, tamer rooster, and settle for him. A mean rooster to hens and people is no fun to be around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by