Question about picking the best rooster for breeding.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Natalijaasbj, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Natalijaasbj

Natalijaasbj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Hi!
    I am a new chickens owner who intends to breed and let my chicken reproduce themselves in order to have a sustainable flock.
    I have a "lead" Maran rooster now (all my chickens are about 4 months old) - very beautiful colors, perfect for the breeding, but quite "bossy" . I also have other roosters who are calmer but not so "perfect" in their colors and body shape. I mean they are fine, but he is the MOST beautiful ffor sure.
    I have heard that this "bossiness" is pretty usual for adolescent rooster trying to "affirm" his leading position.
    How long should I wait for him to settle down when I CAN say that it is his "constant" trait or not. Because I wish him to be a main "breeding" bird(I can not have multiple roosters - seems I have 6 from 11 chickens now). I think though that it is important for breeding to have a "calmer" character, not only perfect coloring and body shape.
    Thanks for any input!

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    first if you want to breed and have a calm roo. get rid of the others. you might not want to separate with them but its best. i got a roo that every one said was mean and bossy. he was with 3 other roos before i got him and now he is sweet and gentle from being with his OWN hens.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would keep your handsome lead rooster as long as he never became human agressive. All head roosters take their jobs of protecting their flocks very seriously. Teenage cockerels are very hormonal and sometimes rough, and yes when there are others around they have to get their mating in as quick as possible. He should settle down by a year of age. Don't try to pet him, hold him, or be his friend. He needs to respect every human and get out of your way.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree. As long as you don't feel threatened by him, protectiveness is a good thing. Roosters will usually settle down around 8 months of age, though.

5. Just chose the breed of rooster u would most want your chicks to have in them.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Define "bossy". If he's at all human aggressive, he needs to go. If he's just being alpha with the other birds, that's fine. Big difference there.
    Hormones usually settle out at around 7-9 months and at that point what you see is what you get as a rule.
    I'm guessing you have a way to rehome your current roosters, and remember when you hatch those replacements for your flock you'll average 50% roosters. It's always good to have a plan for those birds.

7. Natalijaasbj

Natalijaasbj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    So greatfull to all your input, guys! Thanks for your time you took to help a newbee;)
    Yes, I think I will wait a bit. The thing it I have 4 breeds and want to see which one I like the most for future more "specialized" raising. I also have a good rooster of Lavender Orpington and three hens (I hope;) of the same breed. I also have only one hen Dorking(the other died), and couple Chanteclers who are just hens. So I basically have 3 MAran Roos and 1 Lavander Orpie roo. One of the Marans definately has to go for sure - he likes to sit a lot, not very eager "eater" andeems to have trouble walking for a while. He walks but soon sits down. I thought it may be Marek, but itis like that for a couple months - he is not improving or detiriorating. Just sits a lot and does not seem to be a strong eater.
    As for "rehoming" - I am a strong believer in old-fashioned chicken farming methods. I am going to eat my "roos", not rehome- that's for sure;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by