Question about pies

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Eggs4Sale, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I have a question for those more experienced than I with making pies from scratch.

I have finally learned how to make a great pie crust, but I hate cooking, so I'm not one to experiment. But with bake sales occurring regularly now, I'm wondering:
    Can you make a bunch of little pies using a cupcake pan, rather than one regular pie?
    Has anyone done this with success?
    Did you change anything, such as temp or baking time?
    Or is there an easier way to make mini pies?
    I'm thinking of empanadas and those little pies at McDonald's, maybe that shape?

We have a hiking challenge coming up, so I'd like to make something that can be eaten and carried without a plate or fork.
    And, well, I like pie!

2. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    I have made minature pecan pies in the little "tartlet" sized baking pans - those that are smaller than a cupcake pan and yes, depending on the type you make, you would reduce the baking time. If you are looking for something quick, good, carry along as well as eyecatching, I would buy ready made puff pastry crusts. You cut them into squares, buy and stuff them with apple, etc. pie filling, fold over to make a triangle, use times of a fork to press and seal the edges and viola' - easy little turnovers that travel well and look like you have spend hours in the kitchen!! Good luck!

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Fried Pies, it's a southern thing but that is something like what you are wanting and is a "pocket" type pie which can easily be eaten while walking! You could also make them and not "fry" them if you don't like the idea of frying a pie!
    Here's just one of many recipes....
    http://www.texascooking.com/recipes/friedpies.htm

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I just made these the other day... mini mini pies or mini tarts in tiny forms. I think they only had 1 tsp of filling per tart?! The still took 30 minutes to cook.

Talk about bite size! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made 2 dz total... and large large pie.... all gone in less then 2 hours.

5. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    I've never tried the poff pastry, I'll have to do that. The fried thing looks delicious, too.

6. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Vfem, do you have a recipe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by