question about pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dougs chix, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Dougs chix

Dougs chix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Waynesville, NC
    Hello all! I know chickens are supposed to hatch in 21 days, but have any of you had them begin to pip on day 19? Of the same batch i started at the same time, i had one egg begin to pip 2 days ago (on day 19) but the chick still hasn't made it out as of today. I know it's alive because we can see his break moving now and then but its now day 21. Should i be worried about the very slow progress? Any feedback would be appreciated!

2. Dougs chix

Mar 11, 2015
    Waynesville, NC
    And another question. Is it a bad idea to put new chix in a brooder with 3 week old chix? ?

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    My last hatch half of my chicks pipped (late) day 19 and hatched out day 20 (averaging between 12-18 hours.) The rest hatched out mid day 21. I personally would be worried especially if it wasn't a malepostioned pip. I would enlarge the pip hole to get a look at it's position and see if there's an obvious reason why it's not progressing. If everything looks ok I'd moisten the membrane and put him back in for an hour or so and see if increasing the pip hole gets him going on it's own, if not I have to be honest and say I'd start an assisted hatch as long as the yolk was absorbed and the veins were receeding.

4. Dougs chix

Mar 11, 2015
    Waynesville, NC
    Thank you for the advice

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You're welcome. Just don't shoot me if it doesn't go well, that's just what I would do. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by