Question about pips?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dr8goons, Jun 30, 2008.

1. dr8goons

dr8goons Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    VA
    I have three eggs that pipped last night. one made an little x in it the other broke a small hole and the third broke a chunk of and it tweeting already and loudley. they pipped about 7pm last night the 3rd one pipped about 830 and still working its way out the others havent made any progress and i dont see the eggs moving. How long does it take to finish pipping? and at what point should i help? Also my themoter is ontop the eggs like the intrustions that came with it said to do will this cause any problems?

2. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I believe that they can take about 24 hours to start zipping after they have pipped. After they pip they will rest, learn to breathe and finish absorbing the yolk sack. Just sit tight and make sure your humidity is around 65-70% and do not open the incubator until they finish hatching.

Good luck with your hatch! [​IMG]

3. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    Sit back and sit on those hands. It can take a while for them to zip. I normally see pips on day 20 and no hatches till day 21.

The thermometer will be moved when the chicks starts pushing on the large part of the egg... is it a super heavy one?

4. dr8goons

dr8goons Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    VA
    no its a light weight one and as soon as i posted the question one busted right out of its egg with out even making a hole before hand alls i heard was screaming. The three in question have made there whole bigger and i see there cute little beeks. Now if the other 3 would pip and stop worrying the new mommy id be happy lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by