Question about playing with my hens in the evening...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MirPanda, Nov 5, 2008.

1. MirPanda

MirPanda Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2008
    Austin
    To keep my hens friendly, and to have a warm pet to snuggle with at night, I'd love to bring my hen in to sit in my lap in the evenings occasionally (i don't have chickens yet, still in planning stages). But I know they roost etc - would it disturb their internal clocks to be cuddling indoors then put back in their coop? Anyone know anything about this?
    thanks,
    Miranda

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    When I have had injured or sick chooks I have brought them inside where our schedule is anything but natural [​IMG] They always readjust just fine. However, they may get used to coming in and seek to come in when you don't want them to [​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Bear in mind that you will also end up with warm chicken *poop* on your lap, and elsewhere in the house. Just so's you know they do that. Also you would have to see whether your chickens actually like sitting in your lap, not all of them do.

[​IMG]

Pat

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I bring my roo in everynight to sit on my lap while I'm typing on here [​IMG] His butt is over a trashcan LOL

5. MirPanda

Nov 4, 2008
    Austin
    Ha, yes i planned on involving a towel in this process - i used to have a duckling who loved to nestle up under our chins - and would occasionally leave us presents.

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    haha got any pics of your cuddle buddy?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  7. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    I wouldn't bring mine in the house, but my buff orps have the softest feathers,and I do enjoy petting them when I am in the coop - they all jump up on the coop divider and want a pat.

8. MirPanda

Nov 4, 2008
    Austin
    No pictures sadly - was years ago on a computer far far away.... the duckling also liked to whip her bill back and forth rummaging in my dad's mustache for goodies. so cute.

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I bring my white polish into the house occasionally. She loves to sit on my lap when I'm on BYC...

She would be the best house pet, but I'm not quite brave enough to deal with chicken diapers. I've only had people kids out of diapers for a couple of years!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by