Question about polish chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by journey's end, Sep 10, 2009.

1. journey's end

journey's end Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Prince Edward Island
    I was told by someone that if I put my polish chickens (due to hatch on the 19th) in the general population the other chickens will peck out their head plumage. Is this correct or just another old wives tale? (of which there are many many)

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I do not have personal experience w/ this but have read on the board that this can happen. I don't think it ALWAYS happens, but with some flocks it does. Might want to wait and see.

Hopefully a Polish person will chime in.

3. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    It is very correct. I had a WCB polish hen and found a roo on the the local craigs list. I already had 2 roos in with all of my hens but the ratio was still way low. Within the first 2 days the roo had a bloody spot on the back of his head. I put some antibacterial ointmenet mixed with pine tar on it and his feathers are just starting to return and he doesnt get picked on anymore. I think it was all part of the "new chicken" syndrome where they have to put him into the ranks of the pecking order.

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I've got 3 polish hens in with my free-range flock of 30 (plus [​IMG])

They don't have any problems at all [​IMG] They're at the top of the pecking order.

5. BaldRooster

BaldRooster New Egg

Apr 1, 2009
    It does happen, our troubles did not start until week 13, our 1 polish got head pecked and is isolated during the day, we will try again when she is healed.

6. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    No problems at my house. My polish are just fine, I have 30+ birds, assorted varieties, no picking, pecking or plucking. I have a variety of ages, so I added the polish to a group of older (by 2 months) birds and they all frolick happily.... [​IMG]

7. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Quote:Try some blue kote on the pecked spot. It helps them heal faster and it seems to really deter the other birds. I had one set of toes that were always getting pecked (they all hatched at the same time but everyone went after this poor guys feet, even tho they all had the same looking feet)
    and then I had another who was getting his tail feathers picked at (when he just started feathering out) so they each got painted with a little Blue-kote and neither have been picked at since.

Good luck

8. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    No problems with mine. I have 3 polish, 2 Appenzeller, 5 silkies in with 22 others and no one bothers the crests. [​IMG]

9. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I have a Polish silver Laced roo that is 14 weeks old. He is in with 6 RIR 14 week old hens. At about 12 weeks the girls picked out all of his long tail feathers. Some blood but he did ok. Now he somehow took total control of the hens and he runs them around like crazy. He no longer gets picked on. ( no pun intended ) I guess he figured out he was supposed to be the boss and let them know it. [​IMG]

10. journey's end

journey's end Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Prince Edward Island
    So just the basic pecking order feather loss. Great. I'll give it a shot, when they're older of course. My chickens lose a few as the order is established but they're not at all agressive (except the one roo that likes to chase my 8 year old).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by