Question about polish chickens

journey's end

Songster
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
Prince Edward Island
I was told by someone that if I put my polish chickens (due to hatch on the 19th) in the general population the other chickens will peck out their head plumage. Is this correct or just another old wives tale? (of which there are many many)

I do not have personal experience w/ this but have read on the board that this can happen. I don't think it ALWAYS happens, but with some flocks it does. Might want to wait and see.

Hopefully a Polish person will chime in.

It is very correct. I had a WCB polish hen and found a roo on the the local craigs list. I already had 2 roos in with all of my hens but the ratio was still way low. Within the first 2 days the roo had a bloody spot on the back of his head. I put some antibacterial ointmenet mixed with pine tar on it and his feathers are just starting to return and he doesnt get picked on anymore. I think it was all part of the "new chicken" syndrome where they have to put him into the ranks of the pecking order.

I've got 3 polish hens in with my free-range flock of 30 (plus
hide.gif
)

They don't have any problems at all
idunno.gif
They're at the top of the pecking order.

It does happen, our troubles did not start until week 13, our 1 polish got head pecked and is isolated during the day, we will try again when she is healed.

No problems at my house. My polish are just fine, I have 30+ birds, assorted varieties, no picking, pecking or plucking. I have a variety of ages, so I added the polish to a group of older (by 2 months) birds and they all frolick happily....
wee.gif

Quote:
Try some blue kote on the pecked spot. It helps them heal faster and it seems to really deter the other birds. I had one set of toes that were always getting pecked (they all hatched at the same time but everyone went after this poor guys feet, even tho they all had the same looking feet)
and then I had another who was getting his tail feathers picked at (when he just started feathering out) so they each got painted with a little Blue-kote and neither have been picked at since.

Good luck

I have a Polish silver Laced roo that is 14 weeks old. He is in with 6 RIR 14 week old hens. At about 12 weeks the girls picked out all of his long tail feathers. Some blood but he did ok. Now he somehow took total control of the hens and he runs them around like crazy. He no longer gets picked on. ( no pun intended ) I guess he figured out he was supposed to be the boss and let them know it.
thumbsup.gif

So just the basic pecking order feather loss. Great. I'll give it a shot, when they're older of course. My chickens lose a few as the order is established but they're not at all agressive (except the one roo that likes to chase my 8 year old).

Back
Top Bottom