Question about portable coops and pens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by krv, Apr 30, 2008.

1. krv

krv Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Hi, I am new here and am happy that I found this message board. I don't have any chickens yet (my sons do), but I am planning on getting some chicks soon. I will eventually need a coop and pen for them and I was thinking about having a portable one built for them. What is the best wood to use that would not be too heavy for me, a woman, to move around my yard? I am also thinking about maybe one that looks like a small playhouse or maybe one similar to a chicken ark. I have looked at a lot of websites, anymore? Thanks, krv

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Have you looked at the Coop Design pages here, yet? Lot's of good ideas to get you started.

We modified a Chick-N-Barn/Yard into a tractor by putting it up on a 2 by 4 frame which made it impossible for me to move. It's heavy enough that I don't think I could move it even if it had wheels. The lesson learned...rip the 2 by 4's into 2 by 2's and it will make it much lighter.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by