Question about possibly getting flock NPIP registered...

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Frozen Feathers, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Here's my main question, if they find something in my flock, does my whole flock have to be destroyed, or just that bird?

I would hate to get my flock tested and then find out all my $$$ birds have to destroyed because an old layer is carrying a disease.

Anyone know the answer?

2. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Hi Angie,

I'm not sure. I'm currently in contact with my state's NPIP agent (after 2 years of trying to get someone to call/e-mail me back) and hopefully my flock will be tested soon. So, I guess I'll find out... I'll let you know what happens. [​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have a question....why get NPIP certified?? Whats that do for ya? I have heard of it, just dont know whats it for.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I just checked on the web about NPIP too just because we hatch 300 chickens every 21 days to sell to whomever wants some. I thought it would be nice to know what I already know: we are a disease free clean environment. Well crap that stuff you have to buy to get certified costs $$$$, and you have to test at least 300 birds EVERY year. my God, I don't have time to catch 300 birds and get a drop of blood from them. I think I will just forgo all that mess and let them be happy and stress free.

5. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    They test your birds for various stuff. I don't even know what, exactly -- it hasn't been explained to me yet. Communication with the dep't of agriculture is extremely poor in my state. [​IMG]

I've never had an illness in my flock (that I know of). However, I do sell hatching eggs from time to time, and there are a lot of people who will only purchase from NPIP-certified flocks. So I'm doing it to expand my market and add credibility. It makes people feel safer about what they're purchasing, and more willing to spend $80 on a dozen eggs. [​IMG]

-Anne

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

That's why I was considering it too. Just to maybe expand my business a little and to have to "credentials" per se to what I am selling. Keep us updated if anybody finds anything interesting out about the NPIP testing we might need to know.

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I believe you have to be Pollurum tested as well to show birds, at least in this state, from what I've been told. That is one reason I am considering. Another is as I get more better quality birds, I'd like to sell eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by