Question About Pot Belly Pigs-----Very Worried

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by drdoolittle, Jun 11, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I know some on here may think me ignorant, but I need advice. I just got 3 potbelly pigs----1 is 5 weeks old, 1 is 6 months, and 1 is 7 1/2 months. The 5 week old is in a little pen of his own, with a nice house and wallow spot. The 2 girls, however, don't have their own pen yet------we will be building it soon (it will be in a corner of our big community pen that is 1000 sq. feet). For now, they are just loose in the big pen with my 6 goats-----and the chickens during the day. The goats and the 2 pigs sleep together in the small goat barn------but the door is always open, so they are not confined together.

My question is this-----should I be worried that the pigs could seriously were injure or even kill my goats? They were both raised as housepets by their previous owners, and show no agressive behavior whatsoever. But I have seen posts elsewhere saying that they are dangerous to ther animals and not to keep them together at all. I've also seen posts saying the opposite. I am a nervous wreck over this, and hoping for gentle advice. Remember, we are building a separate enclosure for the pigs-----this is a temporary situation.

And yes, we are planning on breeding them-----only 1 or 2 litters a year and taking reservations before the piglets are even born. If there is not enough interest from good prospective owners, we will only have 1 litter.

Just wanted to add that the 2 girls are around 25 lbs. each, and the little boy is maybe 5 lbs.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  2. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I know we're not supposed to, but I am bumping this in hopes of some advice.

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I LOVE my pots! First, because I'm a worry wart...the five week old should still be getting milk. If you have a goat that is milking it would be perfect for the piglet to drink.
    The only time I would worry about the pigs hurting the goats would be over food. Pigs and goats both go crazy at meal time. I would feed the goats outdoors while you are feeding the pigs indoors. Or visa versa.
    I think that when you hear about pigs attacking other animals most times it is farm pigs they are talking about. Not potbellieds.
    I have 6 pots and they live with goats and chickens and cats. During the winter the chickens will sit on the pots backs to stay warm. I have a small kitten in the barn now that sleeps on the pots backs and if the pig wakes up and starts walking around the kitten stays and goes for a ride. [​IMG]
    I would get the piglet in with the other pots as soon as you can. Introduce them slow and the piglet should fit right in.
    The important thing is to keep an eye on them during feeding. The pigs won't appreciate the goats trying to steal their food. Most times they will give a warning, but the goats are food crazy and will ignore the warning until it turns into a half hearted bite. More to scare the goats than to hurt them.
    Good Luck with them and please post pictures!

4. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

In a large space like you said you have , as a temporary situation i dont think you will have problems. We have a pot bellied pig named percy. Long term pigs should be housed with only other pigs. pigs play rough ,real rough to the point where they can seriously injure goats , dogs and chickens. They will become more and more of a risk to other livestock as they get older , stonger , and wiser to their capabilities. but your saying they will soon be in their own pen so i wouldnt worry too much. and i agree with skyesrocket about feeding time- should be seperate while theyre in the same pen
    Good luck with getting the pen constructed
    we just moved percy from the backyard to his own Acre with 2 low lying strands of electric wire is all thats needed for him as a fence.
    Good luck- would love to see some pics [​IMG]

5. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Wow, I feel SO much better! My piglet is separated for now because the females are way bigger than him, and I don't want him to get hurt. His pen is in the big pen, so they have met through the fence, and he is very excited about the girls!

We did have him out for a bit yesterday-----of course, he tried to do what boy pigs do, and the girls acted like they were going to bite him------as he went after them one at a time (In other words, if he let them be, they pretty much ignored him but if he showed "affection" they would try to bite.).

I do feed the goats separately in the barn with the door closed-----they are so much worse than the pigs about food!

Well, thanks for all the help-----I am glad I don't have to worry now. And believe me, I can't wait to get their pen done------hate the messing around at feeding time!

6. lasergrl

lasergrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Middlefield Ohio
    Pigs can harass a goat that is in milk, and even tear the udder. If the goats are bigger and not in milk you may never have a problem.

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Pigs can harass a goat that is in milk, and even tear the udder.

I never thought of that. Thanks for the tip. I will watch for that. My goats and pigs are out grazing during the day together and penned seperate at night.​

8. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    None of my goats are in milk, and the youngest are over a year old.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My potbellies were housed with my fainting goats, as long as everyone had their own feeders they were fine. My chickens would walk all over with babies, potbellies never hurt them. They were also turned loose in the pasture with all my animals... did fine, except stealing food. Had a roo that would hump the potbellies head or stand on his back too, and my one male was intact.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  10. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    My pots seem to be behaving very well. I got their house built yesterday, and we should be fencing off their own area in the pen-------we only have one long side and one short to fence. I'll probably still let them out with everyone else once in awhile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by