question about poultry resp disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilQtBear, Nov 13, 2011.

1. LilQtBear

LilQtBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Oregon
    I recenty had to cull 2 birds with resp illness
    Now here is my question - is any other bird that was exposed to it a "carrier" even though they show no symptoms? Or just the ones who get sick and recover. I was planning on culling if/as symptoms arise but does it still mean the others could be carriers anyway? Close the flock?
    One that got sick was brought in and in quarantine but was still in same area as one flock and one of that flock got sick as well...those two culled. Other flock not housed with that flock but did free range on same property other flock still at risk?
    So many questions.

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    How old are or were the chickens? Are you sure about what they had?

Have you ever wormed them? When, and with what, how many times?

If you can afford to, or if you have a veterinary college nearby.... you could have, or have had a necropsy done to be sure of the cause of illness. You can also take one of your chickens in for a blood and poop test, for an exam? To be sure what is going on.

So many times it seems that parasites or worms cause such a variety of symptoms... even what appears to be a repiratory infection.

Free range chickens get worms more often from eating bugs and worms than do 'caged' chickens. Gapeworms are very, very rare... but there are so many other types of worms.

Others know more than I do about how and where to get animals tested. I would not give or sell any chickens to others until I knew, or they were well. Just my opinion.
    Use the Search here on BYC to search for more info. Was the major symptom "wheezing" or were there multiple symptoms?

Good luck.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Depends on what kind of respiratory ailment. There's alot of bugs out there. Have you tried treating with Tylan or some other respiratory antibiotic?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by