Question about processsing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by emvickrey, Aug 31, 2010.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Is the meat ruined if the gall bladder gets cut and the green stuff gets on the meat. I suppose it's the gall bladder. I don'tknow if they have one but I was cutting out the gizzard and hit that little green organ and green liquid ran out onto the meat. I rinsed it off right away.

We processed 19 meaties last night and I did this with 3 of them. I rinsed it off right away and we had a big tub with cold water that we put all the finished meat in to col off and soak the rest of the blood out of. None of the green liquid got into this tub because I rinsed off the meat right away.

DH says that there is green in the layers of the meat on the breast he cooked. It looks more to me like blood that cooked not that green stuff. We don't even know if it was one that had gotten the green stuff on. I think it's his wild imagination but I figured I had better ask people that know lots more thn I do.

2. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    When I dress any bird off, I make sure I pull all the organs out before I remove the gall from the liver, that way if I do cut it the only thing I am going to possibly taint is the liver. Just my opinion, I am sure others do it differently but seems to work for me.

3. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    If I had been doing it myself thats what I would have done. And that is how I did the birds I processed ................but thre where 2 inpatient men helping me and they where just concentrating on the leg quarters and brests. I was trying not to waste anythng. So before they had a chance to toss the remains of what they left I would reach over and cut out the gizzard and I cut a few call bladders in the process.

I did this with a quail once on accident. I cut wrong and hit it and it spilled inside the body cavity before I had a chance to get the guts out but I just finished as quickly as possible and washed it all out. we ate it and nobody died from it. [​IMG] So I figurd he was just freaking out over it. One of those that looks for a reason for things not to be any good or something wrong with it. Maybe somebody that knows for sure can answer me and our delimma will be solved.

4. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    If you washed of good it will be OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by