Question about purchasing rare breeds

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by dandydoodle, Jul 15, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    When purchasing rare breed chickens how do you verify that the person selling the birds to you is on the up and up. I am interested in purchasing rare Orpingtons but, I am nervous because, I don't who to trust.

Thanks,
    Michelle;)

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Quote:Michelle, you ask a very good question and one that many of us have struggled with as we've been working with various breeds over the years. First off, I think the BYC feedback section is a really good tool for you. You can also see if the poster is involved in postings other than those related to selling. I say that carefully, because during our heavy gardening months, I'm not all over the boards like I am in the winter [​IMG].

You should also educated yourself as much as possible about the breed. Knowledge always help. Would the owner allow you to see the flock? If no, I would be a bit concerned about that.

I would also be concerned about the health of the birds/eggs. I would ask the owner what steps they take relative to biosecurity, what they feed the animals, etc. etc.

At the Garry Farm, we welcome any and all questions. Take your time Michelle and remember that the price is not always indicative of a better bird! Not all shows are created equal, A county fair is not an APA sanctioned show. Some of us have never shown birds for reasons related to time, etc. but our flocks may be show worthy.

I hope this was somewhat helpful. Have a blessed time.

3. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thanks this is helpful and as you know I am trying to build up my flock. I would really like to include a pair of rare Orpingtons in my flock. Right now Chocolates, Cuckoo, Jubilee and some other variations in this breed are in the process of being imported to the US. I know a couple have managed to import the Chocolates are starting their waiting lists. Anyway I would like to get on one of the lists but, no ones seems to be able to provide a copy of paper work showing bloodline or proof of importation. Should someone like me be able to get a copy of these things if I were to purchase from them? [​IMG] It seems to me that when purchasing an expensive bird like this that it should be obtainable. I am sure it would help me out if I could show people that purchase from me in the future paperwork proving these things. Anyway any advice would be helpful.

Oh yea, I am taking my time sometimes it feels like I am butting my head against a wall. [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Michelle

Quote:Michelle, you ask a very good question and one that many of us have struggled with as we've been working with various breeds over the years. First off, I think the BYC feedback section is a really good tool for you. You can also see if the poster is involved in postings other than those related to selling. I say that carefully, because during our heavy gardening months, I'm not all over the boards like I am in the winter [​IMG].

You should also educated yourself as much as possible about the breed. Knowledge always help. Would the owner allow you to see the flock? If no, I would be a bit concerned about that.

I would also be concerned about the health of the birds/eggs. I would ask the owner what steps they take relative to biosecurity, what they feed the animals, etc. etc.

At the Garry Farm, we welcome any and all questions. Take your time Michelle and remember that the price is not always indicative of a better bird! Not all shows are created equal, A county fair is not an APA sanctioned show. Some of us have never shown birds for reasons related to time, etc. but our flocks may be show worthy.

I hope this was somewhat helpful. Have a blessed time.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My opinion is that if you want top of the line quality birds, the best way to get them is to go to a show and purchase adult birds that you can actually see what you will be getting.

Or, go to the show and pick out birds that you like and make arrangements with the breeder of that bird to sell you day old chicks or hatching eggs.

Ask around the show to a lot of different people and see who they would recommend as a source of chicks.

Other than that, you have to wait and listen and talk until you learn a breeder's reputation. There is a very efficient grapevine in show animals. If somebody is going something crooked, it doesn't take long for the word to get out.

One thing you want to look for is apparent knowledge. If you are buying quality birds, the seller should know what they are talking about.

Expensive imported birds, I suggest that you be doubly careful, because it is possible for the importer to sell everything they can hatch, trying to get their money back (although not 100% going to happen that way). With a more established breed, the show breeders should be culling heavily and trying to protect their reputation for quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by