Question about Quarantine ??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickie Mamma, May 24, 2010.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, brought home a gorgeous White Silkie roo yesterday from Chickenstock. I have him in my basement in a large cage. I plan on keeping him separate for a couple weeks. He is eating and drinking fine, just looks lonley. How long should I keep him away from my birds and should I give him Sulmet for 5 days as a precaution, or just leave him alone? I gave him a bath and blew dried him (not as willing as my silkie hens) but he is so purdy now [​IMG] Any signs I should look for ? I have ACV and I have Avia Charge 2000. Have him on Mana Pro crumbles 24% to give him a boost for the stressful trip (fender bender on the way home) [​IMG] .. He had a rough day yesterday. Any advice would be appreciated to help before he gets to meet all his new ladies in a couple weeks. [​IMG]

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I like to keep new chickens in q-tine for at least 4 weeks. I would not give antibiotics unless it is for a specific illness. I would just let him be for a couple days and then start watching him/letting him get use to you.

Fender bender - ouch - [​IMG] hope all turns out well.

Pictures?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No antibiotics, period. You want any latent disease to come to the surface, not to be masked. I'd quarantine for at least 4 weeks, and even then, symptoms may not come forward, especially if he's comfy in his new surroundings.

Look for discharges from eyes, ears, nose and listen for breathing issues. Worm him in a few days and dust for any lice/mites he may have carried in on him, but do not use antibiotics at all.

4. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks for the advice.. I will keep him in my basement for another 3 weeks. He is very perky, eating and drinking great. I have the Avia Charge in his water, no antibiotics. I figured we would want to see if there was a problem and not hide it either, but was just worried that one of my kids may not wash their hands that great and go play with the others after cuddling with him. He is sooo sweet, hope he stays that way! thanks again for the replies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by