Question About Rabbit in the Hen House

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by doublejfarm, Jul 30, 2011.

1. doublejfarm

doublejfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    Ok so I have a Flemish Giant and I put him in the chicken run on the weekends and he loves it. His pen is twice as big as it has to be with a covered run and the works, but he. Loves to hang with the birds in their huge run.
    The question is sit gonna hurt him to just stay in there and just eat chicken feed? If I put his feed in there the girls eat it up like its candy and I want them to eat the laying feed. Thumper my rabbit will eat the layer feed and he doesn't mind it; but is this a bad thing for him? Does anyone out there have rabbits too, or should I go to backyardherds.com?

2. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I have no idea about what rabbits eat in relation to chicken feed. I would suggest you check the web about the animal nutrition to make sure he is being fed an adequate range of food to take in all he would need. Personally, I would think that if you just added some greenery into the hen house it should do the trick.

3. jodiea60

jodiea60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    I too plan to put bunnies in with the chickens....Never thought of the food deal...I was more worried about wheather they would get into their individual sleeping spots

4. Jeevesrules

Jeevesrules Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    i house my 2 rabbits with my 6 chickens and have done so for about 3 months. there have been no problems so far, the rabbits eat the chicken food and the chickens eat the rabbit food. i don't feed layer pellets i feed mixed poultry corn with oyster shell thrown in, the rabbits avoid the oyster shell. also i put oyster shell in the rabbit food so the hens don't lay thin walled eggs. make sure the rabbits have enough space to 'retreat' to if some thing happens. also throw in a lot of greens for the rabbits as it keeps them and the chicks happy [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. doublejfarm

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    Ok good. Thanks for the help. He likes to "retreat" under their chicken ladder going into the coop from the run. Its shady there. He pretty much sleeps there all day

6. doublejfarm

Jun 6, 2011
    Modoc, SC
    Quote:Well the chickens should roost in the air if you have given them a stick or perch to sleep on. The rabbits would be hard pressed to get up there. Unless Im missing something here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by