question about raising baby ducks together.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marvun22, Jan 5, 2014.

1. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I'm ordering some Muscovies this spring, but I'm also ordering some standard ducks and geese from Metzer Farms. I was wondering this. If my Muscovies and other ducks can't come on the same week, could they still be raised together? If my Metzer's order came one week late, could those ducks and geese go right in with my Muscovies? And then let's go the other way. If my Muscovies came 1 week later, could they jump in with them?

If the breeds matter my Metzer's ducks are going to be Welsh Harlequin, Rouen, Runner, and Blue Swedish, all females. I'm guessing I'll probably get an extra, which would be a male. I was also getting a pair of some sort of Buff Geese. Either Buff, Tufted Buff, or Large Dewlap Buff (they're importing that this spring). My Muscovies are going to be in pairs and I'm getting 4 of them. I'm getting 6 standard ducks (2 WH, 1 Rouen, 1 F&W Runner, and 2 Blue Swedish) and 2 geese (Pair).

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome to Duckdom!

Some of the answer will be up to the ducklings themselves. Generally, though, significant differences in size can lead to the littles getting knocked around a bit. Also, any introductions need to be handled methodically and slowly, in baby steps. If the Muscovies arrive late, that might be the better situation as they will grow larger than the others. When there are two or more weeks' difference in age, often I have seen experienced members recommend delaying combining the groups until everyone is about the same size.

Hope that helps. Please keep us posted.

3. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Thanks for the advice. What is Duckdom? I'm hoping it will only be 1 week apart at the latest. It's just that I was checking Metzer's availability and Rouens weren't available one week, and that could be the week my Muscovies ship. I'm never sure when my Muscovies ship because my breeder just lets her Muscovies choose, as they are very stubborn mothers.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oh, Duckdom is this pretend place where people who raise ducks live. [​IMG]

Timing can be tricky. Our runners arrived a month early.

5. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    Ok I've already had ducks for about 1 year, but this is my final year of expansion.
    The best move I've done with ducks was to put them in my Chicken Coop, which has more the enough room for them as well. With my parents, they (mostly me) usually had ducks, but they didn't have any secure place. So generally none would live because of predators, and we had to be getting new ducklings every year. Another problem was that they always ordered straight run, so there was no control over that. So the one time they lived, I had 7 MALES, and 1 female. Needless to say, the female was overbred and got killed, so my dad had to kill all of them. After that, no ducks would make it more then a year before predators got them.

And to add on to my previous question, what if my duckling were a couple of days apart?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I had two sexed buff orpingtons ducks, then i ended up with a scovie nest violated by one of our dogs, that prompted some premature hatching, so we ended up with two scovies in the house... well, i needed to get the buffs out from the silkie chickens they came with(pecking!!) so i combined the 4 together. The scovies were quite young but the buffs were older..

Here the pair of scovies(now eggy/yolky a pair of drakes lol)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With their buffy pals having a tubby.

Now they are still together... they have created their own flock.. at least the buffs were females.

A newer shot from fall..

[​IMG]

Point to this show n tell lol is yes, you can watch for extreme sizing differences though.. like i would not have mixed calls with scovies.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    marvun22, it looks like you understand the importance of security. Why subject animals to such a violent death? That is how I feel about it. I hope all goes well with your flock.

8. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    I agree there. It is such a violent death to have your body ripped apart by a raccoon. And now, I am deeply saddenned when any duck dies, so I work extra hard to keep them safe. My 2 African Geese are great at protecting, not to mention they're really tame too. The one problem is that they hate every human that isn't me. I've tamed it, but it hates everyone else.

9. mommakurk

mommakurk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    California
    [​IMG] mine have got along great together and they are two weeks apart :))

10. marvun22

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    If I have to put them together at different ages, I hope it goes as good as yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by