Question about rare breed breeders

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dandydoodle, Jul 15, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I am interested in purchasing some rare breed Orpingtons but, I am nervous. How do you know the breeder you are purchasing from is on the up and up.

Thanks,
    Michelle;)

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Well, if they are selling on byc, you can check their feedback, same as on eBay. Or check with someone that bought from them. Are you buying eggs or chicks?

3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I am talking to someone about chicks. I will ask if she is a member of the BYC.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:First ask them if they breed to the American Standard of Perfection then ask where they got there stock from.

Chris

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  5. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I mean they will all tell me the UK or Britain. Is there anyway to know if they are on the up and up.

Quote:First ask them if they breed to the American Standard of Perfection then ask where they got there stock from.

Chris

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

Chris

I myself would walk away if one told me they breed there Orpingtons or any other bird to U.K. Standard but that is me.
    I live and show in the U.S. and I want to preserve that breed to our standard.

The best thing to do is get a American Standard of Perfection then learn all you can on that breed. [​IMG]

Chris

7. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Oh yea sure, right now though all the rare breeds of Orpingtons are having to be imported from Britain or the UK. They are just not in the US yet. Seems like a couple of breeders are starting to be able to import them. So its not that I want to breed them to that standard. What I am saying for them to be the real thing they would have had to have been imported. It really would be nice if these breeders could provide you with a copy of when and from who they were imported from. I mean if you are going to breed and sell them I would imagine this is very important. I know it is to me. What I have come across so far is that no one can provide you copies of the importation or the purchase or anything proving the birds blood line. How is this possible if they are this rare shouldn't they have some sort of papers with them???
    [​IMG]
    Quote:
    I myself would walk away if one told me they breed there Orpingtons or any other bird to U.K. Standard but that is me.
    I live and show in the U.S. and I want to preserve that breed to our standard.

The best thing to do is get a American Standard of Perfection then learn all you can on that breed. [​IMG]

Chris

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I would think that they would have the documents from the quarantine center where the birds were quarantined when they were brought into the USA. They should also have copies of the airline bill of lading when they shipped the birds.

I've purchased several show dogs in the UK, and nobody ever gives any receipts or contracts. With dogs, you get the pedigree and the registration papers, but birds don't have those.

Unless they smuggled hatching eggs. In that case, they wouldn't have anything to show you. Also, in that case, I urge caution about dealing with them. They aren't honest law abiding people and their birds have not been properly screened for imported illness.

9. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Only the person who imported originally would have import papers. If the person you are looking to buy chicks from was not the original importer, they won't have any import paperwork to show you. (I hope that made sense). With chickens, you don't get a "pedigree." Seeing the parent flock is the best way to evaluate. The differences between an American Orp and a UK Orp are night and day, therefore, very easy to see. Also, ask the breeder who they got their birds from in England. I don't have a "pedigree" for my birds, but I can tell my customers who I bought my birds from in England.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by