Question About Rasing Chicks in the Fall

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tractoraholic, Aug 19, 2011.

1. tractoraholic

tractoraholic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Maine
    Hello All,

My Wife and I just ordered seven chicks from a hatchery. I have raised chicks before with great success. But now Im kinda doubting myself and heres why,
    Previously Ive gotten chicks in the spring and they had all summer to grow and get there bodies adjusted to the changing temprtures. These chicks Ive ordered will be here Sept 6 which means by the time they are ready to go outside it will be late October-early November where daytime temps are in the 40-50F and nites are in the 30's and 20's and then comes our Maine winters. Im just wondering If they would do all right in those tempertures that young, not having the summer and fall to gradually ease into lower temps. The breeds Ive chosen are Buff Orpingtons, Partridge Cochins, Light Bramhas, Rhode Island Reds, and a Red Star sexlink. Has anybody else raised chicks in the Fall, Any advice, suggestions to prepare them for cold weather?

Thank You for your time,

Justin

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    I don't have any advice, but mine are arriving on the 12th of sept......I'm another latecomer:/!

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I had some silkies hatch out last November. They lived in the house until January at which point they moved out into the silkie pen. My coops are not heated, nor are they insulated. Of course, I live in TN. We aren't near as cold as up north. It did snow two days after I moved them outside. [​IMG] They were all fine. I had 6 full size silkies in the coop and that certainly helped keep the night time temps warmer.

Once they feather out chicks are surprisingly hardy. If you keep them outside once they feather they should gradually acclimate to the temps and be okay. Make sure your coop is draft free and dry. If it is going to be windy or really chilly you might stack some hay bales along the walls. I don't heat my coops in the winter. They seem to be able to deal with it just fine.

4. Brad2388

Brad2388 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    I'm right with you two, getting my chicks in a week. Hope to get some good info before it's time. Best advice I have gotten so far is to slowly acclimate them before leaving them outside constantly.

5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Forgot to add- I have also had broodies hatch out babies in January and February. For some reason we prefer to go broody when it is about 20 degrees outside and snowy. [​IMG] All of the babies have done great. While they were little and fuzzy they would toddle about and then duck back up under mama to warm up. Once those feathers pop out though mama generally makes them deal with it on their own. They have all done just fine.

If you are worried about heat at night, you might try filling up milk jugs with hot tap water. Put them in the coop when you lock up. It will radiate some heat throughout the night and help keep temps a little higher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by