Question about Receiving Chicks by Mail

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AlpineSpringsRanch, May 16, 2011.

1. AlpineSpringsRanch

AlpineSpringsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    I had the chicks sent to the address closest to my work which is an hour away from my house. Now after reading all the threads I am a bit worried about picking them up / taking them home i.e. how to manage that.

A lot of the other threads seemed to say that the post office usually calls super early. Well, earliest I can get there is about 6:30 or 7 and then I have to work a full 8 hour shift before coming home so would be 6:00 at the earliest and likely 7:00 at night before I got the chicks home.

My husband works our horses at his sisters ranch near my work...I am wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to take the lamp and a cardboard brooder / feed and water JIC to set them up in the tack room for the day till we can take them home...or would they be fine to leave in their hatchery box.

What would be your recommendation for this scenario?

They (25) should be here either tomorrow morning (Monday) or Tuesday morning coming from McMurray to southern California

2. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I'm a newbie so I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area, but I have read on here to get them settled asap and offer food and water from the stress of being shipped. my best guess would be to have hubby set up some sort of temp brooder where he is and do that for the day. Hopefully someone with more experience will answer! COngrats on ur new peeps! Post pics when u can! [​IMG]

3. AlpineSpringsRanch

Mar 20, 2011
    Worked out well...I got the call at 8:30 so I went in late but took them to work with me. Talk about a distraction. The bosses wife is now "babysitting" a buff cochins and another chick.

Funny thing is the only ones I can even tell what they are are the buff cochins. I know there are buff brahmas, partridge cochins, partridge rocks, and silver penciled rocks plus the free chick..but they all look sooo similiar to me...going to have to try and sort groups when I get home.

I'll HAVE to post a thread in the what am I section because I am clueless..they are all brown with varying degrees of striping...some black ones, one with a star which has me worried b/c I did not order a sex link so maybe just a marking? IDK but SUPER Exciting my first time ordering baby chicks.

4. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Woohoo!! Glad the chickies made it safely!! After 10 posts on here u can put up pictures! Sooooooooo, start posting so we can see pics of those adorable babies!!! [​IMG]

5. AlpineSpringsRanch

Mar 20, 2011
    So here they are...all but two at least...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My MYSTERY Chick...am going to post on what am I.
    [​IMG]

The chick below: I wasn't 100% certain, according to my order and my counts it HAS to be a partridge rock...but it looked so different from the others. Put it next to a partridge cochin and its the same though so must be color variation.
    [​IMG]

Everybody alive, healthy and vigorous upon arrival and 9 hours later when I got them home so a great first experience for me so far [​IMG]

6. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    The PRocks are adorable. The freebie definitely looks like a barred rock.

As for your question, even thoough you're all set, If they are packaged well they should be fine. Our company (mypetchicken.com) packed the box with straw and they had enough room to stand and walk around just a bit. But also, they are usually shipped the day they hatch and they have enough yolk left in their bellies to keep them fed and hydrated for a good day or so, maybe two.

7. misslady

misslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The Great Lakes.
    Quote:I agree, freebie chick definitely looks like a barred rock. Just like my Mildred did when I brought her home, *sigh*, they grow up so fast. [​IMG]

8. ChickenBrik

ChickenBrik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    Free chick is definitely a barred rock!!! My BR looked like that exactly, just a few weeks ago... not anymore. I had know idea they would go soo fast.

9. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    You mystery chick could possibly be q barred rock, but I'm no pelrofessional. [​IMG] cute chicks!!!

10. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Cute chicks!!!! Thanks for sharing ur pics!! I ordered from my pet chicken and ur free chick looks exactly like my barred rocks. Here they r now at 6 weeks old, Sweet Pea & Ethyl.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by