1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about Red Sex Link

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rufflemyfeathers, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    If The red-sex-link is a cross between a single comb Rhode Island White hen and a single comb Rhode Island Red rooster!! what would you get if the red sex link breed together the white red sex link rooster and the reddish red sex link hen that come from the group of Red Sex Link??? I was just wondering.. I have that breed and was wondering what they are then..

Also of the red sex link I have one chick that is yellowish with black feathers what sex is that male or female..It is part the Red Sex Link group.

2. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    You do not get chicks you can sex by the color of their down like their parents, that I know for sure. I believe you get a mix of reddish ones. They would be nice strong mixed breed good layers though. If you just want more chicks for eggs and can wait to know which ones are roosters, and possibly make use of the extra roosters for meat, then they would be a very nice economical way to go.

Edited to add your yellowish with black feather chick, did you get these from a hatchery? Some include a free one. Often of a different "rare" breed. Sounds like maybe you got one of those? The hens are red the males yellow of the sexlinked ones, they usually have a picture of the chicks on the website you can look through those and try and guess your other baby.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  3. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    What you get when breeding sex links is a bunch of "mutt" chicks -- the sex links don't breed true, so some chicks may be white, some may be reddish, some may be a combination. There's also no way to tell the sex of a chick by its color or markings. Hopefully you'll at least keep the egg laying abilities of the sex link hens, but even that isn't guaranteed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by