Question about redness of RIR comb Pictures added

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
Is there a timeline when the pullets comb and wattle turn red? My 5 week old RIR comb is turning red. Her wattles came in a week ago and already been dark pink/red. However, her comb has not grown much taller, just turned dark pink/reddened overnight last night. I'm still hoping she is a pullet. She does stand taller then the others and has a roo sorta stance. The owner of the farm store says there is an 80-85% chance for roo's of sexed pullets. Although, I think my 17 year old picked her from the straight run.

I do know the Easter eggers comb doesn't turn red until right before they started laying eggs, and I wasn't sure if the RIR was the same way. I would be very sad if I had to rehome Gyspy if she indeed is a roo. She is the peacekeeper of the flock.

Oh, she is feathering pretty quickly. At 5 weeks, she is feathered on most of her head.

I took these a minute ago. Hopefully the lighting is okay. It's difficult to get close ups of these guys with good lighting. :p

Dark pink at the base and half way up. Still yellowish tips
Chicken067.jpg

Pink wattles. Wattles grew in a week ago.
Chicken066.jpg

Last edited:
I have 5 8wk old RIR's and 1 is a roo. His comb started to get pink/red at 4wks old and his wattles were visible. By 6wks old, his comb was double the size as were his wattles. The girls never developed the way he has and still have small yellowy combs and no wattles. Sorry, but by description, it sounds like you might have a roo.

Thanks. If his/her comb continues to grow taller this week, then I will know. The comb has been really dark pink at the base for 2 weeks and now the comb is mostly pink. Just the very tips are yellow. She/he spends the day crouching down charging at everything.(even at the leaves on the ground!LOL) Not sure if this is roo behavior, but none of the other chicks do this. I was looking at photos from when we first brought Gyspy home, she/he has always stood much taller then the others.

mother o' chicks72 :

pictures?

I need to take more. I have a spine injury and I threw my neck out and am unable to move. Ugh, it will be a couple more days before I will be able to take them out for pics.​

Thought I'd post a pic for reference for you. My roo Red and some of the girls.
83798_img_4363.jpg

ETA: they are @ 8 weeks old in this pic

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom