Question about relocating a predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dandydoodle, Sep 15, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I have a friend who is having a bobcat problems. It has reached through her fence and taken several of her chickens. I know I have heard people talk about calling someone and they will come out and trap and relocate. I think it was the state or something. For the life of me I can't remember who does anyone know.

Thanks,
    Michelle

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Animal control might be able to help.

3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thanks I will suggest that.

4. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    You could hunt or trap it, I don't know when the season for bobcats is in Georgia. If you relocate it could come back, or it could cause someone else problems.

5. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Call wildlife fish and game services or fish and wildlife services! Don't try to trap it yourselves! Relocating is very tricky and you sometimes have to take the animal 100 miles or more! DON'T hunt it! Bobcats are a protected species and you could get a hefty fine! (I could be wrong) !

6. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    Depending on how much fence there is could she cover or replace it with smaller wire so the bobcat can't reach through?

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I would leave relocating any animal to the authorities. Around here, problem animals disappear...

8. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:Yes. I would leave that one to the authorities unless you are a fan of SSS ( Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up.). But then if you were, you'd not have posted the question in the first place, Those are usually protected species though and you might actually have luck with getting some authority to help you with it. Were it a coon or possum, no such luck.

9. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Yea, I was really curious about what authority figure to call. She lives in Florida.

10. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Another poster had problems with the bobcat and Animal Control gave her the green light to shoot it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by