1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about relocating ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mynameiserin, Oct 28, 2011.

1. mynameiserin

mynameiserin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I was wondering where I could find like laws and regulations on ducks. Such as in residential neighborhoods compared to out in the boondocks.
    Uhm I live in NY state if that makes a difference which I'm sure it does.
    If you know a website or something where I could find some information it would be amazing.
    Thank you guys.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Depends on what you are looking for as far as info. Your topic says relocating, most states frown on relocating wildlife, and relocating (aka dumping) domestic ducks is cruel to them as they don't have survival instincts.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  4. mynameiserin

Mar 17, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I didn't mean dumping them. Poor word choice I guess. I suppose just moving could have worked.

5. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    So you want to know how many ducks you could keep if you moved from the country to inside city limits or a suburb?

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I would check county ordinances and then city restrictions. Code enforcement, sometime animal control and even fish and game. Some counties allow fowl but from one city/town to the next they could be restricted or banned.

7. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Yeah "waterfowl" are often under a different classification than chickens or other fowl. Some people get it to their advantage and can keep 5 ducks vs. 3 chickens they would be allowed at the same home. Your best bet is to pick up the phone and call local autorities where you will be living.

8. mynameiserin

Mar 17, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Thank you guys I will have to look into calling some people.

9. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Get anything in writing if you can and print out documents published online. Crotchety neighbors and the poor overworked policemen they call may need to have the laws shown to them.

10. LNGSMITH

LNGSMITH Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    I am actually wondering the same thing for my ducks and chickens. However my question is more along the lines of what would be the safest way to transport my little ones to our new home. Husband and I will be moving and we are taking our little ones along, but we are more wondering what is going to be a good way to transport them to the new location..... If anyone can give me some advice that would be awesome!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by