Question About Resting Meat and Times

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by machoman, Nov 19, 2011.

1. machoman

machoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2011
    We processed our first cornish cross the other day and let it rest in the fridge for two days. The bird was 8 weeks old. We roasted it in the oven. It was tough as nails, like a rooster.

I'm assuming 2 days isn't enough time. I've got another one in the fridge and it's been there for 3 days. I was going to prepare it tomorrow, but would really like to eat it today. Think we'll be okay?

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Hmm...I dont know, that bird shouldnt have been tough. Now it wont be mushy like your normal store bought birds, but it shouldnt be tough as nails.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Ditto on Halo....I usually rest mine for 48 hours. My home raised broiler had more texture and more cling to the bone than store bought...but it also had more flavor. Not a bit tough, though.....excellent tenderness.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I have the same problem. The birds I cook from my yard are extremely tough, even the young ones. I've tried resting for 1 day or 5 days, no difference. The one thing I HAVE noticed is that you need to cook it on much less heat for much less time. That does seem to help. Yard chickens sure are tougher to cook than store chickens!

5. machoman

Sep 9, 2011
    This just seems plain tough. We've processed older roosters and this was about how tough it was. We've also done younger birds that were very tender. It was stew meat, IMO.

6. ChickcrazyCharlie

ChickcrazyCharlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Leesburg, FL
    That is strange. I skin mine and grill them. I have never had one tough at 8 weeks. Older ones go in the pressure cooker.

7. machoman

Sep 9, 2011
    I did prepare the second one after letting it rest for three days it and was significantly better. So, we'll simply rest for 3-4 days and maybe brine. [​IMG]

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Chickencharlie, Im planning on skinning some of mine next month. Do you cook them differently when they are skinned? How do they turn out grilled?

9. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I've noticed a bit more toughness and cling to the bone, too. Much better when I marinate in kefir for a day or two but I still haven't gotten the roast bird that I'm working for. The time I went really low and slow I got it dried out.

10. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I just thought of something. Mine were extremely stressed because I raised them through the summer in AZ. Haven't tried my fall batch, just processed my first yesterday, they've grown much bigger/faster. Maybe the toughness has to do with some sort of stress?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by