Question about RIRxRed Star mix chicks???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 77horses, Dec 4, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Hi! [​IMG]
    We have some red star young hens that are now laying medium-large eggs. I have noticed that most of their eggs are fertile, looking at the germinal circle. The rooster that they live with is a RIR rooster.
    We plan on selling baby chicks to a guy at the local feed store, because he knows someone who wants some baby chicks. So I have been asking around about what to charge per chick. Decided that around $1-$2.50 sounds fair. But sense we are gonna sell lots of chicks, we should find a way to tell their gender.
    Yes, I know that Red Stars are sex-links, so we can tell their gender very easily by looking at color. But would we still be able to tell gender by looking at the color of the chicks if they were mixed with a RIR?
    Thanks!

2. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    No, they won't be sex-linked anymore. Only works on the first generation. Or, at least that's how it is with black sex-links.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
  3. chickypoo

chickypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Colorado
    Yeah, that only works on first generation sex-links. After that they lose the trait and you won't be able to tell just be looking. You will have to use other means of sexing them, I'm sure someone here can fill you in on it, I'm not up to speed on that.

4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Vent sexing:
    [​IMG]

Male on left, female on right.

It's harder than it looks...LOL...considering each chick is different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by