Question about Roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Imonrroy, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Imonrroy

Imonrroy New Egg

Oct 2, 2013
    Needville, TX
    I recently got a I'm guessing young roo about 3 weeks ago and my girls who are 16-20 weeks old are not happy with him. 3 have just begun to lay eggs about 2 weeks ago. I have 3 naked necks, 2 barred rocks, and 1golden sex linked. All of my girls except for one of the naked necks attacks him. He is an ameraucana roo and he just runs away although the girls succeed in plucking his feathers before he gets away. I have him separated in a dog kennel where the girls can see him so they will get used to him, but when I let them free range, they still attack him. I don't know if its because the lady I got him from had him in a pen with 4 other roos and he might be the submissive one or if because he is still young. Is there anyway I can get my girls to play nice with him?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It’s not unusual for hens to pick on an immature rooster. There are a lot of dominance issues going on. Eventually, he will mature enough so he can do his job as dominant rooster, but right now those pullets outrank him and are going to let him know it.

The way I see it, you have two options. You can just let them go. As long as no blood is being drawn, they will eventually work it out. Or you can keep him isolated until he matures enough to be dominant.

I can’t tell you when that will be. It depends on the personality of the rooster and the personality of the hens. I’ve had some roosters that could do that at 5 months. I had one that did not win over the last hen until he was 11 months.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    How old is he?
    It's most likely because he is the lone new bird. Introducing like numbers and like sizes works better. A single new bird - even a young roo before he's old enough to take charge, will usually be attacked as an outsider.

4. Imonrroy

Imonrroy New Egg

Oct 2, 2013
    Needville, TX
    I don't really know how old he is. The lady I got him from said he was old enough to mate. His spurs haven't even begun to show on his legs yet and he hasn't began crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by