question about roos

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lespaul0738, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Lespaul0738

Lespaul0738 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    this is the chicken behaviors part of the forum so i assume this has to do with chicken behaviors... but do you all think that if i put a roo in a coop that has a conected run to my normal coop so they can see each other and be near each other but not hurt each other, would my nhr(new hamshire red) roo get used to a silkie roo and not fight it? and if so how long would i have to keep the silkie roo away from the main coop?

and is this a good deal on chickens? http://huntington.craigslist.org/grd/1946636473.html

2. Lespaul0738

Mar 30, 2010
    another question, do you all think i could switch some egs from a broody hen and put 6 one month old chicks under her and shed take to them? but shes only sitting on one egg

3. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    First Q:
    No, Roosters will fight. It's what they do. Just like hens have a pecking order, Roosters do too. They will fight over who gets the girl. That doesn't mean they will fight all the time, but they will fight when dominance needs to be established.

Second Q: Sounds like a good starting price, but you need to know the ages and things like that of the chickens.

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Yes and yes [​IMG]

You should be fine putting your other roo in a connected run. You need to make sure you quarantine any new bird for at least 30 days though to make sure they aren't going to bring any diseases into your flock.

Your broody hen will probably take the 6 one-month-old chicks. It is a little bit old, but I've heard of someone else who put 3-week-old chicks under their broody and she took them without a problem. Just make sure you put them under her at night when its dark and she's sleeping. Don't worry about the single egg either - my hen hatched 13 chicks from one golf ball!! [​IMG]

5. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Some roos will fight no matter how long they've been able to see each other. You can try putting them in nearby runs for a few weeks or months, but you won't know how they'll act until you put them together. It might turn out they can coexist with one dominant.

As for prices, $5 is good depending on what age the chickens are. If they're pullets or young laying hens, that's a great price (in my area). If they're five years old and slowing down in laying, not such a good price!

Third question... I wouldn't advise putting one month old chicks under a broody hen. She's going to notice the difference, and could very well attack the foreign chicks. You might get away with putting a few extra day-olds under a hen if her own eggs are hatching, but not one month olds. Sorry!

6. Lespaul0738

Mar 30, 2010
    thank you all, and how old should the chicks be before i turn them loose in the big coop? most in the big coo are already full grown

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by