1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jmantoo1, May 8, 2007.

1. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    how do you cut a roosters spures if they get to long

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I use dog nail clippers and clip the sharp ends off. The spur is just like a finger nail, the outer coating is painless to cut, but be careful if you cut too deep it will bleed. If you have cornstarch you can sprinkle it on the wound to stop the bleeding.

3. quiltymare

quiltymare Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2007
    Central Washington
    A lot of folks twist off the over grown hard outer nail which leaves a pointy little cuticle underneath. it's good to moisten the skin where the spur attaches to the leg with oil so that it doesn't tear. Then, it helps if you have someone who can hold the roo, wrapped in a towel helps, and firmly hold the leg. When roo and leg are held, you take a pair of pliers and grasp the spur and rotate it until is loosens and pops off. Sometimes they bleed a bit so anti-coagulant should be within reach. Sounds really gross but once you've done it, it's a piece of cake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by