question about roosters and hens...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tarheel4lif3, Dec 27, 2007.

1. tarheel4lif3

tarheel4lif3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2007
    ok. so I have 5 araucana hens and 3 roosters. I took out two of the roosters which left one of course. Well my hens are like 27 weeks old and still have not got any eggs from them. I do live in the mountains and it is getting cold but I was also told that they do lay even when it is cold. I left two hens in with the rooster and he is doing his "stuff" I just noticed that he was just this past week. Will this help them start laying eggs or what?!?! HELP!!!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Having a rooster makes no difference in when they start to lay.

Although, if the hens are going along with his advances, then it's a good sign they are close to laying.

It's probably just the time of year that has delayed them starting to lay. Most chickens slow down, or even quit completely, laying when it gets to be shorter days.

You may try a light in the coop timed to come on about 3 hours before daylight and to go off after the sun comes up to extend lighted hours and kick start their systems.

3. mtnchicks

mtnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree, try supplemental lighting. The longer nights and cooler temps may delay egg production.
    I live in the mountains of Colorado, have no supplemental lighting other than a red heat lamp bulb on bitterly cold nights, and my pullets began to lay at about 24 weeks, in November. I have a mixed flock, which includes a couple of EE hens. I still have a few that aren't laying yet, but I expected that due to winter lighting and weather. I've decided not to add lighting because we are getting more than enough eggs for our household use. But it sure is hard to wait for those first eggs!

4. gmc

gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2007
    Clay City, KY
    Good advise from the above posts. I've seen additional lighting make all the difference (gradually increase to 14 hrs.) Another thing to consider would be diet. Protein levels and calcium. Link to the article below with a small snip....

Calcium
    It is also important in the pre-lay period (2 weeks prior to egg production), because this is the time period in which the pullets build up their medullary bone to enable them to manufacture egg shells. A deficiency in calcium can lead to skeletal problems, reduced egg production and thin egg shells. The main calcium source for laying hens is limestone and/or oystershell in the feed.

http://www.farminfo.org/livestock/chickens-m.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by