Question about roosters...mean? mating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amynbrent, Aug 9, 2011.

1. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    I have 3 Buff Orphington Roosters. One is huge, the next smaller and the next even smaller. I plan on re-homing some of them, I have even more then these three. Everyone tells me that too many roosters are bad and will fight. None of mine do, they are the sweetest roosters. You can pick them up, my son even gives them rides on his quad [​IMG]

My question is. I have 2 hens that the huge one will not leave alone. He chases them, corners them, pecks at their necks. I do see him doing the deed but all the time? My two girls are terrified of him. They will not go in the coop at night and they go onto the roof, last night I had to toss a ball up there to get them down. They jumped and out came Big Foot chasing them in. He again cornered one hen and was attacking her. Is it attacking? mean or just mating? Do I just leave them alone to do what chickens need to do?

I forgot, the other two do this too but not as agressive and often as Big Foot.

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Way too many roosters for 2 hens. If you don't intervene your roosters will start gang breeding them with the possiblility of life threatening injuries. If you do not plan on raising chicks there is no real reason for keeping all those roosters.

3. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Sorry, I should have added I have 35 hens and I think 8 roosters. It's just the one rooster with the two hens I'm concerned about. He wont bother anyone else but these two hens.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have a GIANT Buff Rooster, he's just a teenager and got a little over zealous with the girls. I locked him away from them for an hour or two and now he is very gentle with the girls. Just had to snap him out of the hormone rage I guess! [​IMG] I guess if you try to calm him and it doesn't work than I would get rid of him....not fair to those girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by