1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about roosters....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TAMMACLEAN, Apr 19, 2012.

1. TAMMACLEAN

TAMMACLEAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Maine
    I have ended up with three bantam roosters, and I was just wondering if I need to find them another home or not. I'm going to have a total of 19 hens plus the 3 roosters, if I keep them. I'm just wondering if I will have problems or if they will have enough hens to share. And they are small roosters too. Some of the hens are regular size, will this be a problem for the roosters?
    Thanks!

2. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    If they were raised together they should be fine. I have three roos together in one pen right now, two were hatch mates and one is older and the dominante. There will always be the occasional "argument" over dominace but nothing serious. You have a pretty good hen to roo ratio so you shouldn't have a problem. Just keep an eye on them and make sure one isn't too mean or anything. I used to have a bantam silkie roo in with my standard size birds thinking he couldn't mate with them. Well when I went to hatch some eggs from them half of them (much to my surprise) were silkie crosses [​IMG]It depends on the size of the bantams and the size of your standard birds. what kind of roos and hens do you have?

3. TAMMACLEAN

Apr 1, 2012
    Maine
    We have an assortment of bantams. I have 10 more coming in a couple of weeks and I think they are bared rocks, araucana, & orpingtons. I think. Right now I have 1 silkie, that maybe a boy, 1 cochin, 1 wyandotte, 1 jersey giant, & 1 plymouth rock. At least I'm pretty sure that's what we have.

4. TAMMACLEAN

Apr 1, 2012
    Maine
    My roosters are d'uulce, I think, a siver laced wyandotte, maybe, and a white wyandotte, again maybe.

5. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    The only one that's going to be a definant issue is the jersey giant and if your cochin is standard, (if its bantam they shouldn't have a problem mating). But they just won't mate with her is all. Other than that They should be fine. The three kinds of roos you have are all fairly docile breeds and should be fine growing up together. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by