Question about roosts?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MusicMan, Sep 8, 2009.

1. MusicMan

MusicMan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Kentucky Lake area
    Hi Everybody,

I am currently planning a coop and run to house about 300 chickens. I'd like to get the most space effecient roosting setup as possible. I was thinking about something like this...

[​IMG]

As you can see on the left.

I guess my question is, can I have two levels of these on top of eachother. Seperated by a few feet, and the top one set back so they can fly from the bottom one to the top one.

Is there another way for roosting poles besides this one and the regular " ladder against a wall kind of way"

I discovered this site about a week ago and its been very helpfull and just awesome.

Thanks everyone,
    MusicMan

2. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    What ever you decide to use just make sure that you can clean underneath easily.

Have tried several configuations and found that a 90% angle back to front is easiest to clean under since the higher area is in front, lower to the back.

Or built in a square pattern with different hights again back to front. Sort of like a rubics cube at the chosen elevation.

The pic you show looks like a great business setup (return on investment) over a time period.

Again, easy cleaning is key to reduce labor cost

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

You can do 2 levels but they will fight over the top level. You are better off with one level if you can make it work.

4. MusicMan

Sep 3, 2009
    Kentucky Lake area
    Yes, we have chickens now about 15 for fun, but I'd like to get alot more for the business side, as there is a bunch of people in my area that would like fresh, FREE RANGE, eggs(but who wouldn't, I mean store bought eggs....ugggghhhhhh) anyway yeah I see what you mean about the angle I'll definitly gonna have to remember that one. It seems to me that the main concern with two levels is that the top ones will generously give the droppings to the lower ones [​IMG], is this a problem?

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    If you have two levels you will definately have to have some type of dropping board under the top level.
    The hens below will get pooped on and would not really be very healthy not to mention you will have unsightly hens wondering around with poo all over them.

6. MusicMan

Sep 3, 2009
    Kentucky Lake area
    Oh ok. Yeah I'll just put a droppings board under the top one, that'l work. That way I can put two levels to conserve space.

Thanks Everybody,
    MusicMan

7. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    I really like that pic MusicMan.
    It looks the way a typical henhouse was built in years gone by.
    Got any more views?

spot

8. MusicMan

Sep 3, 2009
    Kentucky Lake area
    Sorry, been a few days.

Spottedtail, I actually was bouncin around on the forums and someone else was showint there house. That's where I got the picture, they did have more views. I will try and find the thread, its been about a week since I did that. Is there a way to see like your recent viewings?

MusicMan

9. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Music man.
    I see no ventilation in your pic. That will be a big problem if so. It will be hot as anything up next to that roof. kFans with fresh air intakes would do the trick. Need an exhaust port at far end from fan. Better fans at each end and turbine vent in center of roof. Also, looks like your feed troughs are way too wide. Birds will walk and poop in them like crazy, I made mine from plastic guttering material. I then put a scrap of vinyl siding over the top at a steep angle to cover 1/2 of the trough, denying them any space to either roost or poop. A skinny piece of linoleum would work too. So far, it has worked, both for water and feed. Never fill the feed trough to the top. Keep only half-full to avoid spillage and unecessary expense. Make them so that you can pull them out for cleaning if necessary. Mine only offer a 2" X 36" area for water and feed with my anti-roost-poop flap. Leave building dark at top nesting area, and put lighting near trough only. For some reason, they seem to like that.

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    To anybody reading this.
    I am a newbie with 24 birds. I was going to put my nest boxes directly across from roosting poles, but a foot higher, so as to be easy to gather eggs. Was going to make two walkways to the walkboard that would run in front of the boxes. Will that be a problem? Should I put them on the ground? I currently have the feed/water troughs mounted on that wall at 6" height. Hate to move those.

Gerry
    [email protected]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by