Question about run with trees

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by [email protected]@b, Jun 23, 2011.

1. chickenn@@b

[email protected]@b Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    DH and I are researching/planning for chickens and have decided to use an existing 10'x15' dog pen for the coop and run. The biggest issue I'm having is that there is a huge oak tree growing in it and I'm worried about possums or racoons coming down the tree into the pen. Is it something to worry about? I don't see a lot of racoons but I regularly see possums in the yard. Should I attempt to cover it in hardwire and attach it to the tree? Thanks for any help! I"m really enjoying my research here on the site [​IMG] I already feel addicted and I don't even have any chickens yet!

2. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow your 1st post, welcome~! This is a great site for info =agrees=

I found this photo ~ you can include the tree [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    I would cover the opening up to the tree, not just leave it open. But then again, if there is no other tree nearby this one, how would a possum or raccoon get up the tree in the first place? [​IMG]

4. chickenn@@b

Jun 1, 2011
    Quote:Good point LOL but there are close trees. I don't know if they're close enough for an animal to move over or not. I'm pretty sure the squirrels jump in that one from another tree though.

5. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    [email protected]@b :

DH and I are researching/planning for chickens and have decided to use an existing 10'x15' dog pen for the coop and run. The biggest issue I'm having is that there is a huge oak tree growing in it and I'm worried about possums or racoons coming down the tree into the pen. Is it something to worry about? I don't see a lot of racoons but I regularly see possums in the yard. Should I attempt to cover it in hardwire and attach it to the tree? Thanks for any help! I"m really enjoying my research here on the site [​IMG] I already feel addicted and I don't even have any chickens yet!

I would like to say Welcome. As for the tree I would put some kind of wire around the top of your pen. I have a tree inside the pen of my ducks. I had to cover the top of this pen recently and I just attached the wire to the tree. It wasn't to bad.​

6. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Is your coop going to be predator proof? Just thinking that as long as you are going to lock your chickens in at night and the coop is predator proof, on the off chance that a possom might jump from one tree to the next you should be fine.

7. creekrats

creekrats Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    I have two trees in my run. The DH covered the top of the run in chicken wire and has it secured around both trees. I wouldn't leave a hole.

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would cover the hole with wire and attach it to the tree also. The wire can even be 2X4 welded or anything tough enough that a coon can`t tear through. Don`t underestimate them. As for how the possum or coon would get there without a tree nearby, they would mearly climb right up the side of the run. No problem.........Pop

9. chickenn@@b

Jun 1, 2011
    Yes my plan was to make the coop predator proof. I just don't want anything getting into the pen just in case. The possums around here are horrible. I know I'm going to have to wrap most of the pen in the 1/2" wire to keep anything from squeezing through the fencing. I figured if I didn't cover the entire pen, they would just climb the fence and hop in.

10. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

[email protected]@b :

Yes my plan was to make the coop predator proof. I just don't want anything getting into the pen just in case. The possums around here are horrible. I know I'm going to have to wrap most of the pen in the 1/2" wire to keep anything from squeezing through the fencing. I figured if I didn't cover the entire pen, they would just climb the fence and hop in.

And you would be right.......Pop​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by