Question About "Runt." Where to get vitamins

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by frozenchick, Jul 9, 2008.

1. frozenchick

frozenchick Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Well, this is my fourth batch of chicks this year. I'm making pretty good progress in restocking my flock. Anyway, I had 9 chicks hatch this time around. One little guys had a tough time though. It took him a lot longer to hatch then the other chicks and he's quite little. I'm thinking this is my first runt. He seems healthy enough; he eats, drinks, and wanders around the brooder. He's definately not as big as his counterparts, or as active. I know that giving him vitamins would be helpful, but I can't find them in town. I've looked everywhere-my local feed stores, and even contacted my vet (he does farm animals). I was wondering if there is some type of "homemade" vitamin I can give? Some type of food or something that can give this little guy a leg up? If not, does anyone have a web address or other suggestions for finding vitamins?

At the moment I'm feeding non-medicated chick starter and fresh water. They are in the brooder in the house. This little guy hatched Saturday morning so he's 4 days old now. Suggestions? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Some electrolytes contain a vitamin supplement and I remember eading that some human vitamins can be diluted. I hope that someone who knows the formula will stop by for you...[​IMG]

Could the little one be a banty?

3. frozenchick

frozenchick Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Unfortunately no. Definately not a banty. I don't have any at all in my flock and since I incubate my eggs straight out of the coop there's no way.

I could try elecrtolytes. I feed them to my horses. I'm just not sure of the ratio or anything like that. Do you remember where you read that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by