1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about salting Broody

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Whirlwind, May 8, 2007.

1. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Hi my hen has been sitting for 24 days. I had one egg out of 6 pip but died in the shell. My question is if I try to salt her with babies from feed store. They only have 5 or 6 day old babies. Will this work? Or is that to old and need closer to 1 day old. I must add my hen sat for several days with no eggs after I took away a non fertile egg. She seams very persistant.

2. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    I think it is worth a try as long as you are willing to keep them in a brooder if she doesn't accept them. I would suggest tucking them under her at night just because usually they are more relxed then.

3. Whirlwind

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Thanks Corey I think I will have to try. I already got brooder set up in case some had hatched and were rejected or in some danger. I think she will take them. She wants babies badly.

I don't need more chicks, but since when is that the issue!!!

Now if it will stop raining. We have had over 6 inches of rain in the last 2 nights. Its awfully soggy here in OK.

4. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    Good luck! Let me know how it goes. : )

5. Whirlwind

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Hi I just put 3 bantam chicks under Belle. She cocked her head listening. Kinda stood up fluffed her feathers out and settled back down. My 19 year old son helped me and said she was saying "chicks finally after all that waiting". Looks good so far. Wish I would of gotten pics before I put them under her but don't want to bother them again tonight. Got them at the feed store and they are fast little buggers. She may wonder how they got so active so soon. I'll post pics soon.

Cindy

6. Corey NC

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    That sounds great I am glad it went so well. : ) Do you know what kind of batams you put under her?

7. Whirlwind

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    I know one was gray, one was yellow with a black dot on its head and one was black. I guess it is a wait and see what cha got deal. All they knew at the store was straight run assorted bantams. I looked at baby pics but it is hard to tell.

This morning I lifted up her butt and the little ones looked at me like I woke them up. All is well so far. Fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by