Question about sand

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by caseyleah, Jul 13, 2010.

1. caseyleah

caseyleah Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    I was wondering, with a few inches of sand in the sun, wouldn't the heat of it hurt the chickens feet? I live in southern Oklahoma and we just went through the past week and a half of nothing but rain and I'm sick of the coop being nothing but mud. Thanks!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You are right. I have sand in my chicken runs, and it is SO GREAT when it's rainy. Luckily my runs are both shady. Sand in the run will definitely get hot, kind of like a beach would, if there's no shade.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If it's hot enough where you are to make the sand problematically-hot on their feet, it's hot enough they'd be a lot better off with shade on that run ANYhow [​IMG] Try shadecloth or (more short-lived) burlap, not a tarp.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I use sand..but I also use shade tarps to shade it. In the afternoons, I'll even hose down a corner of the sand run to try to give my girls someplace cooler to put their feet.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  5. caseyleah

Jun 4, 2010
    Where can you buy shadecloths?

6. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I have sand in my run but my coop is facing north and has a big overhang so most is shaded. You can find shade cloth at any Lowe's or Home Depot...about 30 bucks. I also put a hose in the run in a large square challow "tub" I have and they love to cool their feet in there. Just leave the hose on a little bit. [​IMG]

7. caseyleah

Jun 4, 2010
    Thanks guys! Now that the rain has passed here the weather is gonna be getting back up near the 100's again and I always feel so bad for the chickens being outside. I freeze 2 liter bottles and put those out there with them and do some frozen fruits too, but with this kind of heat it doesn't take things long to melt at all! [​IMG]

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

We have sand in our run/coop but it has a cover since it is not in the shade. So glad I have the sand...so much easier to cleanup.

I freeze milk jugs of water and put in Rubbermaid containers turned on their side...the chickens loved them today...had 3 Buff Orpingtons trying to crowd into one box with the milk jug.

I freeze water in 1 liter bottles and larger juice bottles and put in the kitty litter bucket that is our waterer. Also freeze 1 liter bottles of water and use the rabbit end...hang on the wire on the run.

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:I've thought real seriously about trying that myself, please make sure to post how you like it once you get it!!! I am eager to hear.

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by