1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about sanitizing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Heather J, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    So I'm pulling apart my incubator to sanitize it, but I used these big sponges to keep the humidity up during the past few days. I'm wondering if I wash them in the same bleach water and rinse them well if the bleach will totally dry out and be gone, or will remnants still hang out and cause problems for the muscovies I'm putting in there next?

Thanks.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Just use very diluted bleach water and let it soak for a while...then put it out in the sun to dry [​IMG] That should be fine. I wouldn't used strong bleach water though. Some people wash it first with mild soap and water then soak it in a mild bleach water and then put it out to dry.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

And yes you can soak the sponge too, wouldn't hurt it..just put it in the sun to dry with the bator.

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I would replace the sponges. Sponges are breeding ground for bacteria with all the cracks and crevices. I'd sure hate to see a .99 cent sponge rouin an entire set of eggs.
    We use a small yourgert cup with a rolled up paper towel sticking out to act as a wick to bring the moisture up. its disposable after every hatch.

5. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    It's really dry here so I used one of those big sponges like you buy for washing your car or for cleaning grout when you lay tile and cut it in half to put part in each side of the bator. It was the only way to keep the humidity high enough--and even then it was hard to maintain 60% and higher during the last days.

I guess I'll sanitize it well and decide what I'm going to do about it when things get closer--Muscovies do take 5 weeks to hatch. Thanks for all of your advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by