BigBlueHen53

❤️ Exodus 20:8-11 ❤️
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
A couple of my hens show signs of scaly leg mites, so tonight I started treating them all with Bag Balm. Will this work? I know the aim is to smother the little buggers, which reside up under the scales on the legs. Vaseline is usually recommended, but I thought Bag Balm seemed more therapeutic to help moisturize and heal. So ... will it work?

It's so hot that anything I put on is going to pretty much liquefy soon after I apply it anyway. But Vaseline is a little thicker than Bag Balm. Maybe I should alternate? Which brings up another question.

I know I have to treat for the eggs which will hatch in two weeks. Does this mean I need to treat again in 14 days? Or do I need to treat every night for 14 days? Thank you to anyone who can clear this up for me.

A couple of my hens show signs of scaly leg mites, so tonight I started treating them all with Bag Balm. Will this work? I know the aim is to smother the little buggers, which reside up under the scales on the legs. Vaseline is usually recommended, but I thought Bag Balm seemed more therapeutic to help moisturize and heal. So ... will it work?

It's so hot that anything I put on is going to pretty much liquefy soon after I apply it anyway. But Vaseline is a little thicker than Bag Balm. Maybe I should alternate? Which brings up another question.

I know I have to treat for the eggs which will hatch in two weeks. Does this mean I need to treat again in 14 days? Or do I need to treat every night for 14 days? Thank you to anyone who can clear this up for me.
Bag Balm should work. Just work it up the leg trying to get it under that scales.
I would apply once a week for several weeks.
Vaseline will be gooey in hot weather too.

Do you have any photos of the legs?

Bag Balm should work. Just work it up the leg trying to get it under that scales.
I would apply once a week for several weeks.
Vaseline will be gooey in hot weather too.

Do you have any photos of the legs?
Thanks, @Wyorp Rock. I do not have pics and don't know if I can get any. DH lets them out about 6 am and I don't get up that early. Out of 19 hens only two felt scaly tonight when I treated them in the dark and it'll be difficult tomorrow in the daylight to pick them out. They have a very large run and I don"t see well! I suppose I could go out tomorrow after dark again and see if I can locate the affected ones and get pics. You've given me a challenge, lol! We'll see if I'm up to it. 😉

I've had luck with Nustock, too. Just be sure to wear gloves! And you can try the gasoline treatment, too. I'd probably try that if I ran up against it again.
Thanks. If I have to wear gloves to handle a product, I don't think I want to put it on my chickens' legs. Gasoline scares me, too. So far it doesn't seem like I have a drastic problem so I'm not ready to try drastic measures. I appreciate the suggestions, though.

Thanks. If I have to wear gloves to handle a product, I don't think I want to put it on my chickens' legs. Gasoline scares me, too. So far it doesn't seem like I have a drastic problem so I'm not ready to try drastic measures. I appreciate the suggestions, though.
Nustock isn't bad. It's stinky! It has sulphur in it. If you get that on you, the smell stays.

Edited to add that it won't melt off. That's why I suggested it.

Nustock isn't bad. It's stinky! It has sulphur in it. If you get that on you, the smell stays.

Edited to add that it won't melt off. That's why I suggested it.
Oh I see! Thought it might burn your skin or something. Thanks. If this treatment doesn't do the trick, I'll try it. And thanks for the warning, I'm VERY sensitive to smells, lol! 🤢🤮

I found this thread and tried the Nustock last night. Little messy with the foot soaking and brushing the feet seemed to not do much. I was thinking the Nustock would be thicker then it was - more like bag balm or Vaseline. So the application was messy, too. But we all survived! :) Question: can I eat the eggs during treatment?

Back
Top Bottom