question about scovy drakes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Feb 16, 2012.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    i have 2 scovy's that i've raised since the day they hatched, one hen and a drake. well it's finally come to that time where my drake (waddles) is getting his hormones and wanting to breed with gizmo. over the past few weeks he's become more and more aggressive towards me when he is normally very sweet. i've heard that this aggression is a seasonal thing and will pass once the breeding season is over and he'll be back to his normal self until next season. is this true or will he stay aggressive? also if it is true how long does it normally last for?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It is normal behavior, he will calm down as the season runs it's course most of spring and summer. He won't stay aggressive. My old drake has never been aggressive towards me and i think it is because He wasn't raised as a lap duck, my youngest drake was raised in the house and is much braver towards me as far as pushing the limits on what he can do. Don't try to change him because it won't work just let him be hisself, if he attacks you though I would put him in time out return aggression doesn't work and if he is separated from his girl and you for awhile it may help him to realise you aren't going to put up with his nonsense. When my boy starts his stuff I usually put him outside or inside the fence away from me and the others.

I'm sure others have their ideas and ways of working with an over hormonal drake but this is what works for me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  3. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sorry i have no idea how I got a double post,

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have not encountered that with my drakes(the ones i own currently) but none were raised as lap pets.. you can pick up every duck here, drakes including if you must however. They are all fussing with hens but they never mess with me. [​IMG]

5. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    They were raised as pets inside and out of the house lol, good to know that this will pass after the season is over. I'll have to try the time out thing when I'm out with them and separate him from gizmo and me :lol:

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    'Usually' it will improve as he matures and as the hormones subside. One of the problems may be that he regards you as part of his flock. Do not tolerate his bad attitude. It is not necessary to hurt him, but subordinate him when he becomes pushy. Pushing him to the ground with one hand while holding his head down with the other - he will resist and may come at you again when you release him. Don't allow him to win - you are bigger and stronger. He regards you as a subordinate or at best as an equal. Time to become dominant. Good luck.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    One thing that I do now that their stock tank is full of water, is when Opie starts to get pushy I'll pick him up and toss him into the tank, that usually takes care of the pushiness for a while. Kinda of like a cold shower. [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by