question about sebbie geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by WyanLuv, Dec 12, 2008.

1. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    My dad has a pair of sebbie geese that are both curly feathered. But I have read that if I were to hatch an egg that I might not get a curly feathered gosling? That you need a smooth feathered male and a curly female? Please set me straight. Thank you!

2. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    No one knows?

3. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    ]There are smooth breasted sebbies and completely curly sebbies. Assuming you have completely curly sebbies, you should end up with curly babies. If you mate a smooth breasted sebbie to a curly, you will end up with some smooth breasted and some curlies.
    curly sebbies:

[​IMG]

smooth breasted sebbie:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  4. mothergoose1963

mothergoose1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Midwest
    If you combine the two curly breasted Sebs, you are more likely to get anglewing in the offspring. I think there is info on Holderread's site regarding this.

5. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    I've bred curly to curly for 4 years now with no angel wing.
    You might sometimes get some stiff primaries and twisted wing tip but its not the same as angel wing.
    Twisted wing tip is very common in Sebastopols (the boney tip on the end of their wing bends) but its often not even noticable. Thats not to say you won't ever get AW but I keep hearing that curly x curly automatically mean angel wing offspring and thats simply not the case.
    I have an article on my website by Bernard Shaw on angel wing that might be helpful reading.

6. mothergoose1963

mothergoose1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Midwest
    I found this on Holderread's site:

Note: Smooth-breasted Sebastopols produce both curly-breasted and smooth-breasted offspring, rarely have twisted wingtips and typically reproduce better than the curly-breasted birds.

Hope that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by