Question about sebright chicks??

NC29mom

Songster
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Scotland Neck, NC
I ordered 15 sebright chicks that are supposed to be here the end of next week. I have spent a lot of time reading about these birds, because currently we only have buff orphington & white japanese black tailed (only 2) chickens. Some say sebright chicks are hard to keep alive for the first 2-3 weeks. So, should I feed them the medicated chick feed? I do have other chickens, and I can't guarantee something might get crossed between the pens. We got 3 japanese bantams in April and unfortunately one died from cocci. So, I am a bit concerned. Also, should I put vitamin supplements in their water? Any other tidbits I should know?

I am soooooooooooooooooooooo excited!!!! And can hardly wait!!
celebrate.gif
I don't want ANYTHING to go wrong with my little chickee's when they do arrive. I have been counting down the days! One look at this bird and I just feel in love
love.gif
:love:love I had to get some!!!

Any help will be appreciated! By the way they are supposed to hatch at Cackle Hatchery on July 28th!! Woo Hoo!!!! (never gotten any from a hatchery before!) And I did get the vaccines they offered.

I have 3 Silver Sebrights (two are roos, dagnabbit) and a Golden Sebright. They are ADORABLE. They're feed store chicks and survived fine. I gave them medicated feed (along with the other chicks I bought at the same time) for 8 weeks, and now they're on all-purpose grower/finisher feed.

The roos are crowing *giggle* and trying to mount my large fowl pullets because the two Sebright pullets are still segregated in their grow-out pen. But those boys strut past them on a regular basis just to admire 'em and to let the girls admire THEM.

Ohhhhhhh!! I can hardly wait!! I went to the feed store today and bought Purina Medicated Feed. It's all they had. We had been feeding our chicks (ages 2wks to 3 months) 20% starter feed. Noticed we were supposed to go up to the 15% feed, so I got some of that for the ones that are 10wks and older. However; they did not have any vitamins to add to the water. The lady told me to add Tobramycin. WHY? I thought that was the reason for the medicated feed. Is that right? Does anybody know?

Any other suggestions? My bitties will be here next week!!!!! (I should have put in for a week off of work just to be able to spend it with them - all day every day..............hmmmm, might not be too late)

Quote:
For my very first batch o' chicks, in the beginning of October 2009, I took a week's vacation. Actually, I was ON vacation when I bought 'em, and had a week left.... gosh it was hard to go back to work after that week. But they survived the first day of my 10 hour work shifts. And every one after that, too!

Back
Top Bottom