Question About Selling Chicks and/or Young Birds

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blue, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm planning on breeding some of my chickens next year, but I'm not really sure how to go about selling any extra birds. Of course, I plan to keep some for future breeding, but I may also have extras after I pick out the ones I want to keep, or if I decide to get rid of older birds. The freezer is also an option, but as far as selling, how do any of you go about this? How do you market/advertise that you have birds for sale, or do you just rely on word of mouth? Do you set up a website, post flyers, put a sign in your front yard, post on here or on Craigslist, or what?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Craigs works for many folks. In spite of all the methods that will be suggested, your local area will be unique. You'll have to try it see for yourself.

3. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I plan to do the same and will use craigslist to see off my extras. I will start first though by using word of mouth. I'm not planning to start incubating until the spring, but i already have people that want to get some chicks from me.

4. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    First, I post about availability on my state thread. I have sold several to local BYCers. Second, I list on Craig's list. I've never needed to go beyond that.

5. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I have seen so many people posting and Craisglist and looking for hens that I was able to sell of all of my older hens without a problem. I told the people all about them, how old they were and that they could call me if there were any issues and so far so good. Sold close to twenty 1.5 year olds for $10 each on average. [​IMG]

6. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I was thinking that my state thread might be a good place to post them, too. Do any of you ever place ads in the local newspapers? I know that when I was small that's how my mom found a rabbit breeder once.

7. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I have always used Craigslist with good results. There are always few flakes that don't show up so I advise first come, first served. And if someone emails and it appears that everything "may" be sold I offer to wait list them. Ad most CL shoppers know that there are always flakes so they have a good chance of getting chicks from me even on the wait list. I also set very narrow times for pick up so that they either show or not, leaving me enough time to call wait listed people and still get rid of the chicks that weekend. The cost of feed is just too much for me to get stuck feeding birds that I have no intention to keep.

To work it out for chicks, the incubator is loaded on Thursday night, the chicks will hatch mostly on Friday and early Saturday, pickup day is Sunday no later than 3PM. I call to confirm the hatch on Saturday morning, advising pickup between 10AM and 3PM on Sunday, nothing will be held, cash only. At 3PM I am on my phone going down the wait list (and I let wait listers know that I will call on Sunday at 3 if there are leftovers) until everything is spoken for...please pick up by 6PM. I have also been selling hens each year. I don't keep them more than one winter since I am interested in high egg production. I advertise them on CL as one-year-old hens, already laying. And I sell them for $10-12 depending on breed and laying history.

I also have a friend who will raise chicks to POL for those who can't be bothered with raising chicks. Personally, with the cost of feed, that is getting a bit expensive. She charges $3.50 for the chick and $1/week until you pick up the bird. Again, the price may need to be adjusted to reflect the increasing cost of feed these days. i just don't have the patience and energy to raise everyone else's birds. I have enough trouble raising my own. But if you have the time, energy, and space it's something to think about. It also may have something to do with the fact that we live near a suburban/urban area where people tend to both work and they worry about the responsibility of raising chicks when they are working long hours and the chicks would not be supervised. It all depends on your location. But my friend sells out easily every year.

In the end, we run out of chicks and pullets way before the wait list is filled. And also, there are always return customers year to year. People lose birds due to predators, die off, old age, etc and need replacements.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by